A question that has puzzled several students for years and will probably puzzle coming generations too!
Debate is if its required ? or if its not required ?
We say – IT IS NOT REQUIRED.
Coming from a background of Indian Performing Arts and first dance steps learned in Indian Folk Dances and then Bharatnatyam, language is just a part of song that expresses the mood and the story of incidents happening in the act/song.
With several Indian Folk Dances being taught one after the other with their styles, it is IMPOSSIBLE to sit and learn all the languages since one of the main criteria to differentiate most or all Indian Folk Dances would be the language itself to begin with and then techniques; later the choreography.
But does that mean that dancing anything you like or directly expressing the words of song on one particular language is called Indian Folk Dance-NOPE :).
We wished, it was that easy.
Translations of each Indian Folk Dance are very much given in all pioneer institutes that teach these authentic Indian Folk Dances (not to confuse with Bollywood/Indian Movie Music or dance moves). At Grace And Grooves, students get to understand the translations in their native language (most preferably english in USA) just like the way our teachers and guru(s) gave these in our regional languages. With practice and proper understanding of each mood and lyrics, each dance is thus easier to incorporate in dances & students. It brings out the moods, expressions & lyrics of the song as & when required. Our audiences are able to understand what song means with the dance being a medium 🙂 This includes Bharatnatyam. That Is How We Got Our Name 🙂
Not to confuse with happy-smiling face all the time (That is not following Navarasa given the fact that Indian Folk Dance May Not Follow Natya Shashtra!) Read below why…Navarasa does not tell you to smile all the time!
For those who understand language during the performances, it will NOT look beautiful because your face, gestures and mood is telling a wrong story than what song says. It will look awkward and weird. Not Beautiful. Nobody cares for those who don’t understand language and would wonder what it is!
Is this is evolution of dance ? Nope. Neither it is accepting modernization. It is not creativity & it does not showcase any culture either! It is not fusion either. But is that a solution for those who don’t understand language? NOPE.
Remove the word-Indian from it, Remove the word-Folk from it in that case :). You can remove the word-dance from it if you know language(LOL). Because yeah, by all means you can move your body the way you want on any music you want. No rules without any restriction is just creative movements. And we wonder what is so creative, if you are showing exactly what song describes and it does not relate to the song..We could add salt to our tea/coffees…let’s assume, nobody would care to notice!
Bharatnatyam is no different when it comes to breaking chains of language. Techniques have no connections with languages and we wished it was true for all Indian Folk Dances.
Although most krithis and keertanas were composed in Tamil for Bharatnatyam with its birth & re-birth in Tamilnadu, the art-form has travelled through out India & outside, gaining popularity in North India. Though if you see the jatis & adavu sets do not have any language except pure Carnatic/Classical notes (no song associated with it). Several other compositions from other renowned regional poets were added to the list of dances esp. for Abhinaya as it travelled across the states. Some of which includes inspirations from Indian Folk Dance poets too where the entire song/lyrics were RECOMPOSED to Classical/Carnatic form with ragam and talam to welcome the art-form. But dance remained same! To make it competitive, some institutes added more margams, permutations and combinations of jatis & adavu sets to its choreography. Terminology w/pronunciations, teaching methods changes depending on teacher.
Why this evolution ?
Because teaching Tamil was not possible for everybody as they travelled to different states and taught the dance form. Sitting and learning Tamil was NOT possible for each student when dance was just an activity to incorporate traditional classical culture in life. So translations were given word by word with meaning and the story or act of each composition.
Then…………..Why so much emphasis on learning language then ??
Learning a new language has not hurt anybody so a-lot of students have learned the language to make it easier to incorporate other compositions that were not taught by their teachers directly gave more possibilities to achieve in the art-form. It is beautiful practice to train your mind to learn new language anyways and there is nothing wrong if you learn it or if you don’t. For some students who have taken their degrees in Sanskrit and any of such rich mother languages, all languages pretty much connects to them. Roots of most languages have been same with no evolution theories to it.
Indian Folk Dances though travelled did not leave their regional language in most cases. Though the variations and styles were created within a specific Indian Folk Dance Form to make it welcoming for new generations. Fundamental techniques are constant irrespective of language in both; Bharatnatyam And Indian Folk Dances. Indian Folk Dances Forms have shorter compositions and non-carnatic music in most or all cases than average Bharatnatyam or any classical dance and so it is easier to learn it without recomposing the work in regional language. Besides, it is easy to learn translations of whole song than to go bonkers over learning a language for just one time 3-4 minute of dance work. And for Indian Folk Dances, language changes drastically for each folk dance form with NO absolute resemblance of technique or anything.
Bollywood as we talk about is NO different when it comes to breaking the language standards. Bollywood got its name from Bombay Studios-thats in Mumbai. Mumbai is in Maharashtra-India. Mumbai has regional language of Marathi. Bollywood is NOT IN MARATHI :).
As the theater dramas advanced to movies & gained popularity, the Bombay Studios adopted National Language of India-Hindi to give honors to India and various talents from all over India were invited to be part of showing their talents and skills on the big screen. Sort of like a pre-recorded theater drama where in all the set-backs and mistakes of live performances were deleted!
It did not end there, Marathi theaters continued and several other regions of India (which are now states) had their own theaters that advanced to movies in their regional languages. So now we have different names for Tollywood-Telugu Indian Cinema as it is known, Kollywood and several smaller names that are barely used. But Bollywood and Tollywood gained its big name because of variety and entertainment level that it had to offer on such a broad spectrum, all over the world. From some of the most famous Classical Dancers, Indian folk dancers, Music, Cultures to pretty much any talent you can think of is all showcased. Therefore, even in Bollywood that has principle language as Hindi, it is not only Hindi but has flares of various accents of other languages depending on story!
From Aika Dajiba (marathi song but inspired from folk song), Neele Neele Ambar (in Hindi), Nagada Sang Dhol Baaje(Gujarati remix from folk song), famous songs of Rabindranath Tagore (mostly in bengoli), telugu remixes and tamil remixes, bhagra & Rajasthani examples(unlimited songs!) to any religion dances that you can think of. All of these hit the charts again and again with its several variations of song recomposed with several remixes and today we have Shape of you that is actually a Non-Indian Song & thats the part of several Bollywood remixes! Tollywood has main language as telugu but it has remix of English, Hindi, Urdu and lot of other languages and cultures showcased just as well.
Main goal & audiences of Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Cinema Dances is only entertainment with some culture to be called as Indian at least in the entire movie of 2-3 hours. In Tollywood, it is usually showing off the South Indian flare & some other languages as dialogues or accents to be specific but that does not mean Bollywood is specifically for North Indians (LOL). And it does not mean in Tollywood, they don’t wear western clothes 🙂
That is why indian movie dances do not have dance form or specific style of its own.
There, we eliminated your need of sitting and learning ALL the languages for learning Indian Folk Dances, Bharatnatyam Or Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Movie Dances.
One more less work to take care of. Isn’t life that simple ?
This is why Grace And Grooves is different. It is called serving to knowledge 🙂
Exclusive Copyrights By Hetal Nagaraj for Reach Mediaa | Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : 2012-2018.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Post Updated : April 15, 2018.
As the annual dance recitals gets planned and prepared, the dances and the musicals in all our dance forms are at level where we can easily convert them into an exclusive dance production pertaining to respective forms, and styles.
- Click Here:Recital 2018 – A Fusion Life of ABCD:American Born Cultured Desi.
- Click Here:Recital 2017 – JALSO (Celebrations in Life) Nritya(Dance) Ki Masti (Fun).
- Click Here:Recital 2016 – Dance of Gods, Adi-Shakthi : Fundraiser To C.R.Y America, Cqunce Inc & Local Small Organizations.
Call NOW : 972 979 2559.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi Nagaraj| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : 2012-2018.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Recital 2018 concept and theme was decided in 2016 by Hetal Nagaraj.
The students in beginning of 2017 were actually taught dances like-wise throughout the year covering just the basics staying in their own category.
The whole idea got the shape in October 2017 when a rough playlist was made. A couple of these dances were also showcased in some of local talent competitions (September-October 2017), Diwali Mela(s)-(November 2017) at various places and other local festival stages. And a few of these had already won the awards too such as Pushpanjali, Madhurashtakam (Practice video-Selected for finals).
With all the influences of Non.Indian Culture in our Indian Dances, Dramas and thus our lives, we thought of showing how a life of our next generations that are brought up here. As it says, A=American, B=Born, C=Confused, D=Desis. But for our students of Grace And Grooves, C stands for CULTURED DESI, CLEAR FUNDAMENTALS, AND CRYSTAL CUT Diamond like TALENTS. Talents that can’t be beaten, Talents that can’t be judged with shallow mark-ups or untrained eyes and Talents that can’t be shadowed.
Grace And Grooves is an Indian Dance School where students know difference between Bollywood And Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood And Bharatnatyam, Bharatnatyam and Indian Folk, Semi-Classical And Bharatnatyam too!
So the recital program 2018 of Grace And Grooves had Pure Bharatnatyam that showcased the richness of Indian Classical Dances to Fun Indian Folk, Fusion Folk, Movie Types Semi-Classical Dances infused with & without Desi-HipHop to real semi-classical dances, Bollywood Modern-Contemporary Desi-HipHop Fusions and Folk And the dance dramas inspired from movies such as Bahubali, Veer Zaara & many more.
Grace And Grooves successfully completed NAVARASA as per Natya Shashtra Guidelines in Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk Dances And Bollywood/Movie Dances in 2017-2018 year. All the dances are directed or choreographed exclusively by Hetal Nagaraj unless otherwise mentioned. Our Company Choreographers contributed with dances on Ramta Jogi by Mansi Chauhan and Ganesh Kavtuvam by Buvuneshwari Murugan.
We cannot forget Indian Movies that teaches us to dream big and live-happily ever after within our cultural boundaries—no matter where we go. Thus, our Special Feature of the evening & 90s Tribute was An Exclusive Tribute to Shahrukh Khan of Bollywood – SRK as we know him. It showcased non-stop 11 mins of SRK’s movie dances by around 20+ students and special appearances from Raghu K and Pavithra K. Videos will be shortly available.
Very first time in our recital, we had Guest Choreographers with Rang Barse-Holi Remix Tribute by Ritu Kharbanda and Bollywood Garba on Nagada Sang Dhol Baaje By Mishu Shashtri. Our Guest-Artist this time was a young artist – Arjun Iyer, Age 11 who played various notes starting from National Anthem of USA with music to notable Tamil Songs on Keyboard-Piano and Clarinet. Guest choreographer Ritu Kharbanda contributed with song of Om Shanti Om to our SRK non.stop dance extravaganza as her contribution to salute our King Khan with Harshita and Gargi.
All students, choreographers were acknowledged with participating medals and certificates during the show and later-during the classes. Below are the all the pictures, Enjoy And Don’t forget to sign up for our lessons : www.graceandgrooves.com
Phone : 972 979 2559
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/GraceAndGrooves
Twitter : https://twitter.com/GraceAndGrooves
Golden Era of Movies in various Languages : 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s From Semi-Classical Mujras To Desi Hip Hop Infused with various Indian Folk Dances.Concept,Choreography, Choreographer, Direction by Hetal Nagaraj.
Special Thanks To Arjun Iyer, Mishu Shastri, Ritu Kharbanda for their wonderful participation in Recital 2018, A Fusion Life of ABCD.
Special Thanks To :
Kedar Golvelkar For Music on Guitar (Ankhon Mein Teri),
Bhagwat Pandya For Sound Services
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi Nagaraj| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : 2012-2018.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Post Updated : March 15, 2018.
Ballet = 50$ for 4 classes, Tap = 50$ for 4 classes, Jazz = 50$ for 4 classes….All of them $50 and above with registration fees(starts from $25), costume fees($30 & up), and recital fees($30 and up). We could go on and on.
Why so many charges. We can name it as American Dances and just sell it all together ?Yes-by all means. If you could do Indian Dances as all in one package as nobody cares; you could just as well do all in one package for American Dances-why would anybody care.
Why discrimination of names. Who cares ?
If answer is NO then why is that Bharatnatyam, Bollywood and Indian Folk Dances are tagged just as “Indian Dances” and are sold in 1 package. Why is it that Indian Dances are so under valued? To an artist who knows what it means to teach those with just the basics, yes-there is discrimination there. Ballet is a dance form just like Bharatnatyam or any Indian Classical Dance is. Indian Folk Dance is a dance-form just like Tap which has styles in variations and they all vary by region, culture and countries too! Or yes, we could have one Folk Dance or Just dance for all countries-How Beautiful It Would Be. But, It Is Not Possible. Let’s do more on that…Let’s be flexible with costumes and clothing…Fashion, Trend, we could on and onn..oh yeah, let’s just not follow the rules-Right!
Here’s a request. Do you have to wear ballet clothes to learn the dance ? Why ? I could wear leggings and just go there. Nobody cares. But yes, as an artist, I will care because to get into the form especially when you are in training—-it is absolutely important that you get used to its attire and all that is required. Why ? To handle the stress of entire required clothing as basics. It is environment that you are giving your body to train with all that physical work going on while dancing.
So why is it that, it is stressful for you as an Indian to reinforce Indian values and not ask your kids to wear Indian dresses and go to any of the Indian Dance Classes but you are absolutely fine having them wear those tight stockings of ballet with a tiny skirt that shows their hip line. or have them wear sports shoes in PE. Well-we would love to see somebody wear heels and play soccer :)..Rules are to keep your body safe.
Are you telling me that learning Ballet is important. Ballet that does not have any correlation to Indian Culture but is importantly forced to child that is brought up in America ? For ? Whom are you pleasing ? Where are the roots ? Where is the culture ?
So why are the Indian Dances so under valued from their selling points, names, rules, costumes and I could go on and on? Every other person in the end of the street wants to teach Bollywood Dances. Agree. Its fun. But do you understand the complexities that comes with it without having fundamentals of body dynamics and lot of other factors that affect dancer’s life in later years and if it is safe for child ? Even if it is for FUN.
Would you give your child to somebody who just likes doing it without the knowing how it actually works in doing it. We can have doctors likewise-why do you need a 5-8 year degree to study medicines. Google helps these days-doesn’t it. Think about savings for you-no insurance, no obligations of going annual visits and we could go on and on….!!
Why are Indian Dances so under-valued ? Is it that we as Indians don’t value it ? Or is it that being on Non-Indian land, we are taught to live a compromised life of under-valuing every single thing that is attached to our Indian culture. To do what ? To embrace values that does not teach my own culture and to leave your own values ? Creativity is such a beautiful thing-Why ruin it at the cost of children and doing it all wrong. Can’t we keep it beautiful, graceful like the way it should be ? What good it does to your child ? Think! It only leaves your child totally confused in future. ABCD : American Born Confused Desi !! Yep…But at Grace And Grooves, ABCD stands for American Born Cultured Desis. A Desi who is very very clear about every single thing that they do from dances, costumes, makeup and we could go on and on.
Here at Grace And Grooves, we reinforce the values and Indian culture by means of Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood And Bharatnatyam just the way its supposed to be done with fundamentals as our basic goals to practice safety. Creativity automatically follows with training. We know how it works as our founding member, Ms. Hetal Nagaraj did it all her life ever-since age 4 step by step, one at a time and still she is able to switch between genres of any Indian Dance Forms without any mistakes, even by a mistake. It is the training only! Training teaches you to be in discipline of your own dance form or style and you will deliver exactly whats required. It is like learning 1+1=2 and the answer is same, no matter what time of day you wakeup to! And so we follow the same. You can only imagine how long the journey was for Ms. Hetal Nagaraj to reach at this level. The comfort level of each dance is taught in a very beautiful way just the way our founding member has learned while balancing her life. This is exclusively done in particular methodology combined with knowledge of training, sportsmanship and psychology so that your child is NOT confuse about what they are doing and delivers it safely. Somebody who has done this by balancing her life in place like India where being a girl itself means responsibility and in that, think about how early it was for her when she had a bed-ridden mother for over a decade & was brought-up by people around her, most importantly-a man/her dad. All of this experience with a masters degree in her own mainstream education, national level sports qualifications and several other list of professional certifications. None of it was possible without training!
We at Grace And Grooves feel blessed of parting all of this knowledge to our students for any dance forms/styles/types/categories that we teach. We love how we do it, we love what we do and we absolutely love when we see our students as AMERICAN BORN CULTURED DESIS.
We love to teach students of Grace And Grooves who know how to draw a fine line of NOT GETTING CONFUSED and still embrace all the fun, trend-fashion etc that comes with practical life on American lands. A musical presented by students of Grace And Grooves LLC on A FUSION LIFE OF ABCD, where our ABCD stands for American Born Cultured Desi. This program is on March 4, 2018 at Plano Courtyard Theatre, Plano and it features Mainstream Traditional Bharatnatyam in several languages, Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Movie Dances in several languages, Fusion Dances and Creative Dances(that don’t belong to any categories/forms or styles). Come and see yourself – Difference!
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media. Written by Reach Media in participation with Hetal Nagaraj for Community Knowledge and Welfare| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2017 | Mirchi Dance Academy | Nruthyakala Dance Academy. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
CALL NOW to schedule your class 972 979 2559 OR just schedule it at : http://www.graceandgrooves.com. Email : Info@graceandgrooves.com
Transfer in process from allstarintl.com
Group & Private Classes without registered business name.
Below are the various Names Used Prior To 2012 for all Indian Culture Dances, Ethnic Dances of India, Bollywood Fusions(College Level), Classical Fusions(Advance College Levels), Indian Folk Dances, Folk Dances of India’s regions or states and all Community as well as private events.
Dallas Sitare, Dallas Dance, Irving Gals, Dallas Dancers, Desi Dancers, Naach, Dallas Boys, Desi Beats, Nach Le, Dallas Desi, Groovy Boys, Graceful Girls, Dallas Stars, Irving Boys, etc. and many others.
Other times, no names were used as it was not required or asked (Updated March17, 2018)
2012 : Grace And Grooves LLC was established and registered in State of Texas by Hetal Nagaraj.
- Indian Folk Dances and Bharatnatyam were the only programs offered.
- Private Groups as in Couple Dances, Therapy Dance Lessons For Couples, Marriage Parties, Mehdi Nights, Birthday Parties, Sweet 16 Parties, Bollywood Fusion with Classical Dances continued as they were since 1999 by Hetal.
- Most clients were NRIs(Non-Resident Legal Indian Residents of United States) settled here in Dallas-Metroplex Areas such as Vidya Vikas Hindu Temple Classes, Northlake College & several other colleges while a few were Non-Indians such as Mexican, Italian, African-American and few students from other religions-to take guidance on dance dramas that included Indian Dances. (Similar to Hetal Nagaraj’s schooling).
- Number of students registered 50+.
2013 : Grace Creations performing team was formed
- Grace Creations performing team was to encourage fusion of various Indian as well Non-Indian dance forms and styles for experienced trained dancers who wanted to go an extra mile in creativity and for those who wanted to performed on regular basis.
- All students were trained exclusively in their own dance forms and styles. These were exclusively with artist collaborations. Click Here.
- Bollywood classes were for private groups to friends only targeting specific performances or if there was competition. Students were signed-up likewise as in group enrollment.
- Pre-Elementary Bharatnatyam Classes were introduced in Irving-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Keller-Texas and Southlake-Texas exclusively taught by Hetal.
- Around 15 students registered for Grace Creations exclusive program that were trained in various Non-Indian performing arts such as Jazz, Tap, Ballet, Hiphop, contemporary and Lyrical. Other students were bharatnatyam students from other styles, kathak dancers and odissi dancers.
2014 : Bharatnatyam was introduced with structured curriculum.
- Pre-Elementary Elementary to Advance Levels exclusively taught by Hetal.
- Curriculum was reinforced and revised as per university guidelines and meet latest trends in creativity.
- Professional Bharatnatyam Lessons were introduced to advance students with little classical or competitive background.
- Classes in Bharatnatyam, Bollywood(Private Group Per Event) and Indian Folk Dances were offered separately in Irving-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Southlake-Texas, Frisco(Private Lessons and Workshops), Grapevine-Texas, Keller-Texas, Flowermound-Texas.
2014 – 2015 : Choreographers joined as interns or volunteers.
- Choreographers as in volunteers joined as Assistant.
- Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Movie Dances were introduced as a independent program by levels.
- Choreographers(beginners/interns) teaching guided choreography of Hetal during the class with strict supervision and in presence of Hetal for all dance forms and styles. This included practice classes.
- Mansi and Deepthi joined for all performances and Elite Level was formed in Bollywood Dance Lessons.
- Classes in Bharatnatyam, Bollywood(Private Group Per Event Continued) and Indian Folk Dances were offered separately in Irving-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Southlake-Texas, Frisco(Private Lessons and Workshops), Plano-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Keller-Texas, Flowermound-Texas.
- Structured Programs in Bharatnatyam as full course was offered for Kalakshetra Style with enrollment of 8 students.
2015 : Bollywood, Tollywood, and Indian Movie Dances was introduced.
- Recreational Classes were introduced in Bollywood and Bharatnatyam(Southlake) for those who don’t want to perform or do it strictly for recreational purpose.
- Structured Program was further enhanced for Bharatnatyam, Folk Dances of India, and Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Movie Dances.
- Bollywood/Tollywood Dances got Level by Level structure to focus on body mechanics, movements, ability level as per age and was successfully implemented.
- 2015-2016 – All Elite Students were trained separately –
- For Targetted Indian Folk Dances by Hetal,
- Professional Bharatnatyam by Hetal,
- Professional Kathak Workshops by Mansi and then further by Hetal.
- Choreographers started teaching independently their own works with minimal or no supervision or with/without direction from Hetal Nagaraj.
- Artist Collaborations : Click Here.
- Skype Lessons were introduced for Bharatnatyam, Bollywood And Indian Folk Dances and successfully implemented and continued. Choreographers : Hetal, Buvaneshwari.
- Professional Bharatnatyam And Kathak Choreography Classes were introduced for students with background of advance dance forms or dance styles exclusively for competition and special feature purposes.
- Classes in Bharatnatyam, Bollywood(Private Group Per Event) and Indian Folk Dances were offered separately in Irving-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Southlake-Texas, Frisco(Private Lessons and Workshops), Plano-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Keller-Texas, Flowermound-Texas.
2016 : Musical Dance Dramas were added to Annual Programs.
- This was to encourage dramatic elements of Dance (Natya and Navarasa as in dance-skits) under the strict supervision of Hetal with a full 4-8 Minute of Dance Routines depending on organizers requests.
- Grace And Grooves aims in completing all the Navarasa by the end of year for all students in all dance forms, styles and dance categories.
- Grace Creations Program was kept on hold.
- Classes in Bharatnatyam, Bollywood and Indian Folk Dances were offered separately in Irving-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Southlake-Texas(Recreational Classes), Frisco(Private Lessons, Workshops, Recreational Classes), Plano-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Flowermound-Texas.
- Recreational Classes for Bollywood continued for those who don’t want to perform regularly aiming encouragement for recreational dancers.
2017 September And Onwards :
Dance Forms and Bollywood was separated with seperate DBA to submit in different competitions and audiences.
- Nruthyakala Dance Academy : For All The Classical Dance Forms and Dances within Categories.
- Mirchi Dance Academy : For All The Bollywood-Tollywood and Indian Movie Dances w/or without remixes. We do ALL dances that happens in movies.
Date/Month this post was updated : November 7, 2017.
2018 February :
- Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : Bharatnatyam Program made it to seperate DBA to submit to different competitions, audiences and to demanding trends of creative Bharatnatyam choreography works from university trainings & past trainings of Hetal Nagaraj’s Mother – Lt. Smt. Daksha Trivedi Joshi (D.M Joshi), Guru(s), Institutes & Schools. Exclusive to Pre-Elementary, Elementary, Standard, Creative and Accelerated Bharatanatyam Dances.
- Bharatnatyam Theme & Dance Dramas will dance under Kalasri.
- Name is inspired from Kala as in art and Shri/Sri/Shree written as “श्री” in Devanagari. Wherein, Sri is salutation given in tamil language with regards to Bharatnatyam where sri is most acceptable layman term for shri or shree or “श्री”. Likewise in Sanskrit.
- Nruthyakala Dance Academy will serve to Non.Classical Dance Forms & Dances within its categories or forms.
- Semi-Classical Folk Dances will be part of Nruthyakala and dancers are trained in the following :
- Bharatnatyam Programs for at-least 12-15 hours plus vigorous practices
- are existing students of Bharatnatyam program & have been trained in Indian Folk Dances with Grace And Grooves LLC Or Students of any other Bharatnatyam/Indian Folk Dance Company (Must do Trial Class).
- Semi-Classical Folk Dances will be part of Nruthyakala and dancers are trained in the following :
2018 August :
- Elite Dancers of Grace And Grooves LLC named Ashna Pethe, Nirja Setty, Samarth Setty were launched to venture and step out for bigger production houses, modeling companies and various such other paid, unpaid, and volunteer projects.
- Grace Creations was relaunched by trained bollywood hip-hop dancers and fully trained Indian Folk Dances. :
2018 September :
- Rg2 Dance Productions was formed in collaboration with Raagaleena Dance Academy (A Premier Kuchipudi and Bollywood Indian Dance Company In Irving) for various locations to provide bigger, better and more refined quality dance works for all the Bollywood, Hiphop and related dance productions. Very First Dance Production of RG2 Productions went LIVE in LIVE audience on September 29, 2018 with around 15 advance dancers of Raagaleena Dance Academy and Grace And Grooves LLC.
- ALL Costume & Jewelry Exclusively Designed, Provided by Hetal Nagaraj.
- Choreographers-Swapna, Anusha. Hetal (Grand Finale).
- Concept, Direction : Hetal & Swapna.
- Dhamaal Events was launched in partnership and in association with several speciality dance & theatre businesses.
2018 December :
- RG2 Dance Productions was dissolved with mutual agreement between Grace And Grooves LLC and Raagaleena Dance Academy due to unpredicted emergency travel dates of owner of Raagalaeena Dance Academy.
- Anantha-1 Series were announced. More about Anantha will be published very soon:)
This post will be updated as required with dates/months.
Date/Month this post was updated : March 16 2018, October 3 2018, Jan 15, 2018.
Call NOW 972 979 2559
Email : email@example.com To See Where You Fit In With Us!
We take honors of what is not our in our dances, it is that pure.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi | Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2018.
All Pictures posted here are with an exclusive consent of participating students, parents or school staffs. This material can not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
BHARATANATYAM, INDIAN FOLK DANCES OR BOLLYWOOD…..Trained, Not Trained : How does it matter ?
Story is all the same….So what’s the difference ? Just read and understand. It is for your child – not for me 🙂
Over the past several years we have come across plenty of untrained dancers/teachers. We needed help too for private groups as our assistants and thus we had an opportunity to get this straight! My job was to not allow them to do those mistakes if they worked under me so they were strictly supervised. Some made it to choreographer’s list while others’ couldn’t because they choose to do it wrong. Thought it will be wonderful way to educate our community to understand what is right and what is wrong—and most importantly-why…..!
How does it matter ? Why not ? Dance — that’s why ? Why don’t you care about HOW your child spends 1 hour/a week for learning to move his body? That’s 4 hours a month we are talking about, a minimum!
Dance is subtle type of sport because all the body movements are cleverly put together to give a good work-out adding nothing but grace and beautiful tone to your body. Ever wondered how some dancers may not have a perfectly toned body but still are able to dance so beautifully and freely? Dance teaches their body likewise. But otherwise, an average person can burn about 100-400 calories in an hour depending on age, dance level, style or form or just be free dances; this without injuring yourself if you do it right. So, why would you NOT consider being taught safely ?
What has safety to do with Indian dances, go ahead…get the read! Here’s major differences I saw amongst 2 different types of teachers around us, irrespective of their work with us.
Trained Dancers/Teachers :
- Trained teachers will teach your child safety-FIRST so that they can dance all their life.
- Trained teachers know practice routine protocols.
- Trained teachers will know in and out of forms, styles and variations or will make efforts to educate themselves even for creative dances.
- Bollywood, Tollywood, Movie Dances, Creative Folk etc. are all creative dances and do not rule out a style or form.
- Do not mistake these as Indian Folk Dances or any means of representation for specific culture or community.
- Trained teachers will never allow their students to go out of form or style in designated dance category.
- Trained teachers will spark your creativity, challenge you and still NOT allow you to get lost in the name of creativity. A fine-line on when you should stop being creative or well–just change the category and name it something else.
- Trained teachers will never allow your child to take a leap when they are not ready.
- Trained teachers will stick to techniques, rules of the art-forms, styles and thus will follow the protocol of teaching right stuff at right time and this will automatically increase the quality of dance with least work. No dance was ever-made to ruin the fun of it or harm anybody.
- Do not mistake curriculum or concepts with fundamentals!
- Trained teachers are often taught performance techniques, stage presence, personality and many such performance attributes as most Indian Performing Arts follow vedas and shastras as their rule book or for inspirations. Amazed to know that our vedas and shastras have these ? YES-they do!
- For the forms and styles that do not follow these scriptures, books or such guidelines-these have NOW matured to a decent level of basic rules to be met to be recognized as that form/style with or without variation and thus given that name!
- Trained teacher’s imagination, motivation, inspirations and decisions are self-driven and will not depend on any factors (irrespective of dirty politics in the name of serving any organization). This includes from opening dance school to providing different services and all the choreography works. All of this is geared automatically from knowledge, years of training and self-made set-goals.
- Other than putting their own practice hours to their respective art-form/style or creative dance, you will not find trained dancers/teachers struggling to do a choreography. They know exactly what they are doing as it is their way of life.
- Trained teachers will not experiment on your child without knowing the setbacks of the choreography for any complex movements.
- Nobody ever likes it when training begins but when trained-they are in love with it & will probably never completely leave it and will be proud of those achievements.
It is not everybody’s cup of tea to stay committed in Indian Performing Arts.
Untrained Dancers/Teachers :
Untrained teachers are often those who love doing it and have no idea most of the times what they do in the name of forms or styles that they claim to do.
- They often get lost in the name of creativity!
- Some experiments are good (not beautiful);some are god knows what!
- Some are pure acrobats, poses or formations and in that—dance is forgotten 🙂
- Untrained teachers will challenge your kids without safety measures.
- RESULT : By the time child reaches their teens or are in 20s-broken necks, bad hips, fundamental mistakes for not doing it in right form/style while practicing the form/styles and that will injure them in later life, wrong body movements leading to serious sprains n leg-pains/ankle pains in later life (mostly for women after marriage or kids), injured interests and certain negativity towards certain dances–all of this resulting into total chaos in their brain about the dances they learned. I come across these fresh college graduates often in various dance competitions where I judge and upon hearing, I feel horrible for them that they have so many physical injuries at such young age and all of them because of dance! Some learned it hard way-how sad.
- And coming back to these untrained teachers, you have one more generation of students who were trained and god knows in what and how ? And they have no idea of what they are doing – Do you want to stop encouraging it, NOW?
- Untrained teachers often rely on online resources as shared knowledge & whatever they can grasp from wherever possible and thus their own knowledge is often shallow. They do not exhibit techniques in their dances.
- I had once a discussion. I was left amazed. Everybody is attracted to beauty-it comes with sacrifices(training). Dance—-Beauty is not by looks-it is by skills. If you are stressing hard on rule 1 of dance to have a beautiful face——-Go, walk the ramp!
- Most of dance make-up is inspired from looks described in relevant dance-characters, obviously being beautiful counts to some level but don’t rule that as first rule of being dancer!
- If you don’t have daughter who is not very beautiful–you would just put her off the dance? really ?
- Even the most beautiful skin color has to put the bharatnatyam makeup onn to respect it. And if you have small or big beautiful eyes–you still have to put those additional eye-liners to give dramatic effects on ur face. They all look the same when dressed up !
- Go visit Kalakshetra Institute of Performing Arts of Rukmani Devi where Bharatnatyam was re-born (Chennai-Tamilnadu, India) and you will see how the basic level of talent will kick your pretty skin color out of your body.
- You will not even blink once looking at the discipline in simple sets of dance sequences.
- Everything is just okay to these untrained teachers in the name of dance even when dance form/style will not give “okay” for it to be in same name. Wait, what ? Role models to kids ? Right!!
- This point had me nuts. I came across an untrained teacher who has this really inappropriate dressing sense on stage for students with respect to their skin color and then the lady mocks them before parents for looking hideous in those dresses. Is this a role model to kids and you are a dance teacher mocking your own kids ? right!
- Untrained teacher don’t do human errors but they do repeated blunders in almost every performances as in fundamentals. At times, these are often not related to any means to form or style. Role model to kids ?
Must include-these are not beautiful blunders but their disastrous mistakes do not represent the dance forms or styles that claim to be so. Our students do those beautiful blunders too but in their own form or styles(LOL).
- Ever wondered-why we NEVER end up making a mistake of stepping out of our form or style? Training….!! Nobody is perfect but come-on, you can’t get an equation right if the formula used is ALL wrong! Role Model to kids ??
- Untrained teachers request to seek private lessons from the child for the sake of putting up their work irrespective of what they are doing. At times, it doesn’t even fall into any category. Where is learning part ?
- These untrained teachers are confused about what they are doing esp. in Indian Folk Dances, and Indian Classical Dances(Bharatnatyam). They often relate to dance as mode of entertainment when today Indian Performing Arts has come to whole different level with enough set of rules to seperate each form, style with or without variation. Audiences were much mature back then as well and so they are now!
- Untrained teachers don’t get things done with techniques and appropriate ways and thus result of class – lame/lousy performances that don’t even show form/style of dance(forget about everything else), Yelling and getting mad at child, shouting, bitching about child, spreading dirty talks of child, asking ur child to shut their mouth when child is expressing pain or something related to dance steps being taught. Role model to kids?? Right…!
- Over-competitive for everything and then loose it. Oh yeah-blame it on kids, their moods, their personal life issues, blaming on parents forcing dance(activities) on kids and we can go on and on!
- Our 2 cents to these kind of untrained teachers—if your life is disturbing you so much then why teach dance and deal with kids & later blame their parents and kids?
- Lack of knowledge or training will put you in such awkward situations that you just can’t handle the pressures of your own field…! Role Model To kids ?? Right.
- These untrained teachers want to do everything that others’ do if by any chance they come across them doing them….Blind cow ?
- Our question to these untrained teachers : Don’t do it if you can’t handle it. Just don’t do it wrong. You are hurting innocents.
Whom do you want to trust your child ? Whom do you want your child to follow as role-model ? Choice is ALL yours.
YOU HAVE ONE UNIQUE CHILD THAT IS YOURS & your child has one body, one life.
IF YOU ARE GIVING YOUR CHILD A GLASS OF MILK AND CALLING IT AS GLASS OF MILK
MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE YOUR CHILD Right DANCE EDUCATION;
IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT that DANCE !
Oh yeah, don’t get me started on adding chocolate to the milk…I can easily eat that with hot jalebi and Mirchi as a side! I love my life. I can have Dussehra-everyday if that’s when you would prefer to eat this and my family is going to be perfectly fine with it…It is called freedom but I like to keep myself healthy. And it is called responsibility.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media. Written by Hetal Joshi for Community Knowledge and Welfare| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2017 | Mirchi Dance Academy | Nruthyakala Dance Academy. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
CALL NOW to schedule your class . 972 979 2559. Info@graceandgrooves.com
Grace And Grooves – Student Of The Year
This section of Blog is exclusively dedicated to all our students’ achievements with Grace And Grooves LLC. These are the students who take every opportunity to excel not only as part of team work but also as part of their individual growth and performances in their respective dance forms or types (if Bollywood-Movie Dances!). These students take regular classes just like all the other students but the only thing they do differently is identify the opportunities given to them by their teachers and make the best use of it. We also like to call them swans.
These students of Grace And Grooves are the examples of achieving balance in life, elegance, and beautiful results that you get with proper training at the right time from all the right people! There is no short-cuts to learning any dance forms/types. If you want to do it then you will do it, no matter what life throws at you! Times when they had lemons around, these students have made a lemonade and nailed it! All pictures below are subject to change if parents send us more pictures 🙂
2018-2019 : Aanya Kocchar :
- Ms. Aanya Kocchar joined Grace And Grooves as an exclusive Bharatnatyam Student in 2015 when we started teaching structured Bharatnatyam Program at Lewisville, Texas under the guru-shishya parampara with Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj exclusively.
When it comes to balancing life with education, performing arts and all the other activities that kids have to take up today just to achieve normal expectancy as per school curriculum, it has never been easy!
As per our Student of the year criteria, she has been an excellent role model to all our younger Bharatanatyam dancers who will look upon her an example going forward. Never Give Up because learning an art-form is never easy and there are NO SHORT-CUTS.
Aanya has performed with Grace And Grooves in several in-house dance productions with her exclusive Bharatnatyam Dances without forsaking fundamentals of her own art-form Bharatanatyam for all our recitals, community events as well as exclusively Hetal Nagaraj’s dance productions.
Her notable dances are Bharatnatyam Nruthyam-Gujarati Sahitya Dance Duet (Literature) and Hetal Nagaraj’s Master Degree university level work of exclusive Bharatnatyam-Pushpanjali, and Allaripu(main margam items). She continues to learn her next level in Bharatnatyam at Lewisville, Texas with Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj and is now a 5th Grader. We are so proud of you!
- She receives $200 worth of services from our partners and friend-businesses to excel in her interest in the journey of Bharatanatyam. One Step At A Time, Nice And Easy.
- Updated : Jan 11, 2019.
2017-2018 : Samarth Setty
- His first dance was a valentine dance with girl at the age of 3.5 where he showed his ability to act, dance & make people laugh/smile by showing his natural dance skills, dance etiquettes that were taught to him by his Montessori teachers. Stage presence was natural to him just like his sister.
- Our little macho man had his struggles of taking breaks in learning dance because of his birth weight, body type but he never gave up.
- From a husky body type to making his body a lean-mean fat-burning machine, he has amazed us of what he could do with proper training, discipline and diet plans that his mom prepares for him.
- His official journey of dance training in Indian Folk Dances started at the age of 6, Bharatnatyam at the age of 7, Bollywood at the age of 7 and then he never looked back! Prior to these years, he would appear on stage as side/back stage-dancer.
- Amongst all our girls, at times he is the only Krishna, Shiva, captain, our Rahul who comes to save the day for lot of our group dances even when he is not dancing for full song. At times he is not instructed of what he needs to do except for dance steps if they were to match with group..it comes out naturally to him, without training and knowledge of dance forms/styles.(Environment)
- From group dance dramas to Solo(s) in Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk Dances and Bollywood/Movie Dances, he has done it all. He has successfully performed, competed and won competitions as solo artist from 2nd place to 3rd place with only 1 hour a week of dance lessons.
- His training teachers are : Buvaneshwari Murugan & Hetal Nagaraj for Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk Dances-Hetal Nagaraj, Bollywood-Hetal Nagaraj and Mansi Chauhan. His workshops include : Intermediate-Advance Workshop with Shakti Mohan.
- He is a perfect example of perseverance, inherited natural talent, stage presence and a best example for kids who feel like giving up, only because of body-type.
- He receives photo-shoots worth $250, competition discounts and several other perks from our participating businesses.
- Updated-Feb 13, 2018.
Ashna Pethe – 2016-2017
- From recreational dancer(Age-10) to now our elite team dancer and this years’ 1st
prize winner in Non-Classical-Category(Bollywood). Lewisville-Texas. Now 13.
- Locations of Workshops, Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas.
- Ashna won A $200 gift hamper that includes a photo-shoot and a FREE professional profiling and several free perks from Grace And Grooves LLC.
- A perfect example of no short-cuts to success and yet balancing it beautifully with unbeatable graceful performances.
- She has bagged 1st place in non-classical category and has cleared several competitions in state of Texas. (Update-September 29, 2017).
- Ashna dances 1-2 hours a week Bollywood at Elite Level w/Elite Team for Grace And Grooves, paid and unpaid performances.
- She has taken advance workshops with Hetal Nagaraj, Mansi Chauhan And Shakti Mohan for Indian Folk Dances, Professional Bharatnatyam, Professional Kathak and Contemporary.
Diya Kadiyala, 2015-2016.
- First Indian Folk Dance Solo Artist under the age of 5 (under official company name Grace And Grooves other than Nirja Setty) successfully performed 3.2 minute of Indian Folk Dance. Twice!!
- Audience : 100 People. Selected/Cleared Auditions for 2 different competitions in 2015. Irving-Texas. Age 4.5. Now 6.
- Locations of Performances : Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Frisco-Texas.
- You are a perfect example of following directions just as taught at such a young age that too in Indian Folk Dances.
- Diya took Free private classes(2) worth $50 during the regular classes. A Free costume rental on our elite line of costumes and a waive off on registration fees for second year. ($30).
Nirja Setty, 2014-2015.
- Winner of 6 (now 6) technique focused Indian Dance Competitions in Indian Folk Dances, Fusion and Bharatnatyam(2016).
- Nirja won Free Costumes and Jewelry from one of our friend-sponsors worth $100. Free Tickets to concert-$30.
- A girl known to challenge judges’ knowledge in competitions as compared to her age group. Irving, Lewisville-Texas. Age 9. NOW 11.
- You are a perfect example of perfect expressions/looks in Indian Performing arts-anytime a picture is taken and yet it just as graceful and beautiful. All of this with a beautiful balance in life!
- Her average competition prize money amounted to $200-$300 by 2015 in various school competitions for Bharatnatyam and Indian Folk Dances.
- Nirja regularly dances 1-hour a week in : Bharatnatyam(in 2 styles), Bollywood and Indian Folk Dances with Hetal Nagaraj and Alpana Jacob (outside Grace And Grooves LLC).
- Locations of Workshops, Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas, Allen-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Flowermound-Texas, Arlington-Texas.
- She has taken advance workshops with Mansi Chauhan, Hetal Nagaraj and Shakti Mohan for Professional Kathak and Contemporary. She has also danced National Level Competition Fogana 2013 w/Indu Mangrola-Sursangam Dance Company.
Srinija Burra, 2013-2014 :
- Outstanding Recreational Indian Folk Dance Artist – (Solo) Recreational Folk Program.
- Audiences from 100 to 500 People. Irving-Texas. Age 6. NOW 11.
- Srinija won Free Customized Costumes from our elite line of costumes and Free Tickets to performances worth $75.
- Won competitions with Grace And Grooves LLC as in group for Indian Folk Dances held Dallas-Texas at Coppell-Texas, Plano-Texas, Allen-Texas.
- Locations of Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas, Allen-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Flowermound-Texas, Arlington-Texas.
- Selected in several auditions and competitions for Solos. Selected by several media and top-notch family/event/corporate-dance and professional photographers for individual profiling/close-ups during our community performances without our telling them or informing them. She was also part of Fusion team being an avid gymnasts student. Click here :
- You are a perfect example of perfect expressions/looks anytime a picture is taken and yet it just as graceful and beautiful.
Congratulations to ALL our students of the year!
Thank you for working hard with us…
This post will be updated once a year. Our year goes from August To May.
Post Updated History : Published First on this Blog in September 25, 2017.
Pictures posted above are either past or present students of Grace and Grooves & their pictures are shared based on their exclusive photo sharing rights and approved by parents when shared/transferred to Grace And Grooves for the purpose of Grace and Grooves ONLY.
Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | 2012-2019. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
About Darpana Academy of Performing Arts of (Ahmedabad-India) & Trainings :
1949 : Darpana was established as a dance academy by Mrinalini and Vikram Sarabhai. For nearly two decades it taught classical dance.(1949-1969). With Mrinalini as the lead dancer, and Chatunni Panicker as her partner, the Darpana dance company toured across the world. A few years later the great Kuchipudi guru, C R Acharyelu joined the faculty.
1960s : Darpana added departments of Gujarati theatre and puppetry under the inspired direction of Kailash Pandya, Damini Mehta and Meher Contractor. These departments taught and had performing groups that established names for themselves. Gujarati theatre was revived as was the folk form of Bhavai, and many other declining forms from across the country. The Andhra shadow puppets found a new lease of life.
1970s : Thousands of students were studying BharataNatyam, Kathakali, Kuchipudi, Mohiniyattam, Vocal and Instrumental Carnatic music, Puppetry, Bhavai and Modern Theatre. Many of the faculty members got involved in using the arts to tackle every day issues and prejudices. And Darpana grew.
1977s : Mallika Sarabhai took over as Honorary Directory.
1980s : Darpana for Development was established to focus attention on creating behavior change communication through the arts with Kailash Pandya and Mallika taking the lead. Government departments, Ministries and other non governmental agencies began partnering D for D to educate the public in issues of health, education and empowering women. Over the next two decades D for D became the fastest growing segment of Darpana, creating powerful communication that reached hearts and minds.
1994s : Darpana’s Amphitheatre Natarani, Gujarat’s only state-of-the-arts venue came into existence to give local audiences the opportunity to see world class performance, and to give artists a platform to build on. Each year Natarani presents close to 80 events, including dance performances, concerts, plays, cultural programs and films. Natarani’s café offers young writers, poets or music groups its space to hold informal performances, jam sessions and readings. The open gallery space allows Natarani to host thematic events encompassing live performances, craft demonstrations and sale, sculpture and painting exhibitions and specialty food at the café go with the theme.
1999s : When Darpana turned 50, all the Founder’s dreams had been fulfilled and over 20000 students had streamed through the institution. In a major reorganization, the teaching of the arts were put on a back burner and new collaborations, technological innovations and the use of the arts for social change took center stage.
2001s : Yadavan Chandran started Darpana Communications to explore the use of television and film for social change. Over the next decade the department produced and broadcast more than 2000 hours of programming, much of it path breaking in its innovative use of audience participation and in using popular genres to introduce taboo subjects. Recently Darpana for Development and Darpana Communications were merged to become Darpana for Change.
2014 & onwards : Revanta Sarabhai took charge of the teaching wing, the Conservatory, to revitalize it. This department now runs short and long term courses in classical dance and music, theatre, martial arts and a variety of other forms.
Natarani hosts seven major international festivals every year:
* Sunday to Sunday Theatre Festival – October 5 to 12
* Naada Music Festival – November 13-16
* Women at Work Festival – November 28-30
* InterArt, The Vikram Sarabhai International Arts Festival – Dec 28-30
* Cinema of Resistance – January 23-26 . .
* Festival of Nonviolence – Jan 30-Feb 2
* Celebrating the World of Dance – Apr 1-6
Over the last 20 years of it’s existence, Natarani has presented performers like Aditi Mangaldas, Amjad Ali Khan, Anahita Uberoi, Anupam and Kiron Kher, Anuradha Kapur, Astad Deboo, Atul Kumar, the Auroville Dance Company, the Cartoon Sardine Theatre, Fazal Qureishi, the Garlic Puppet Group, Javed Akhtar, Louis Banks, Shivamani, Niladrikumar, Mynta, the Paul Taylor Dance Company, Rahul Bose, Ramdas Padhye, Raman Kutty Nair, Daksha Sheth, Rohini Hattangady, Ronnie Govender, Shabana Azmi, Shovana Narayan, Shubha Mudgal, Tom Alter, Usha Ganguli, Vibha Mishra, Zakir Hussain, Indian Ocean, Deepti Naval, Nandita Das, Zohra Sehgal and many others.
No other private arts institution in India had the facilities available at Natarani. The campus, the theatre, the artists, the technical equipment, the rehearsal rooms, the library of books, music and videos, the workshop, and perhaps most significantly the mind set. This made it unique for opening it out to the artists and creators of the world who wanted to break out of technique bound institutional or performance set ups and have the possibility of working with artists of different trainings, nationalities, sensibilities and goals.
Grace And Grooves thanks Darpana Academy of Performing Arts for sharing their beautiful journey of performing arts under the leadership of Guru Smt.Mrinalini Sarabhai and Guru Smt.Mallika Sarabhai. This as well reflects in quality, technique focused environment pertaining to style or form and above all-commitment and discipline to form/style.
The above article is being submitted by Darpana Academy of Performing Arts, Ahmedabad-India to Grace And Grooves to provide knowledge about institute’s premier setup in Ahmedabad-India. Ms. Hetal Nagaraj has taken several trainings (1999, 2000, 2015) in various Indian Folk Dances, Puppetry and Gujarati Theatre at Darpana Academy of Performing Arts from some of the most renowned artist that visit the institute for teaching their speciality. Some of these choreography and conceptual works were also performed before and after Grace And Grooves was registered with state of Texas as a LLC and were reproduced as direct replica of her trainings at Darpana Academy of Performing Arts(Ahmedabad). While a few of the choreography work-ideas from Darpana students’ showcases (of 1999, 2000, and 2001) have inspired Mrs.Nagaraj to use the very same in Bollywood, Bharatnatyam and other Classical Fusion works (Kalakshetra Style or with multiple styles of Bharatnatyam, and Kathak). All with required trainings without forsaking fundamentals, practical approach and creativity.
Be it for fun or competition–it is all about what you take home once the training is done.
We, at Grace And Grooves choose to provide the very same quality, commitment and creativity without forsaking the fundamentals of dance forms or styles. Students are taught to practically apply choreography work in their specified dance forms or styles and Indian dance categories(if-competitions). Knowledge of various vedas, shastras, epics versions, access to culture books, translations and history books are open to students who would like to study in-depth. Fusion works, musical theatre are taught in their own category of dance forms or styles. It is due to hard work and in-depth interest, that Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj has gained some of the finest knowledge and books from various parts of India during her extensive travels all over India for her education in various fields(including dance) and for the love of travel! While some books and mentorship were gifts from her dance guru(s), instructor(s) and Sanskrit professors at various institutes/universities/department of tourism(state & India) or performing arts related associations.
When you take Indian Folk Dance Classes from Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj in Dallas-Texas, the history of culture with related Indian Folk Dance variations, styles, costume & prop- guidelines, with required rules associated with dance form or style is very much part of program as per region and state wise – Both! Props making(if not available in market) & puppetry(-includes making them-) is also taught wherever applicable; knowledge of which she has inherited from her own mother who was volunteer teacher in local drama plays and schools in which folk dances were prominently showcased as part of entertainment on regular basis.
Her drama-plays included a full routine of dance performances in Indian Folk Dances on Indian festivals and subjects such Ram Leela, Krishnasthami(Janmashtami), Shivratri, Onam, Sankrant(Makar Sankranti), Dussehra(with 9 days decors), Women’s Empowerment, Diwali Decors, Christmas Plays, Lezim, Lavani and many others to include which are taught today also at Grace And Grooves Indian Folk Dance Classes or Musical Theatre (wherever applicable, as per need) as part of various programs.
Possibilities are endless with trainings as they come with practical safety guidelines for each form or style. This allows you to showcase endless creativity and still stay within the form or style.
For No Dance Was Ever Made To Harm And Dance Is Beautiful With Creativity!
Just don’t forget what you were dancing out there in the name of creativity.
This above timeline was submitted by Darpana Academy about Darpana Academy to Grace And Grooves. September 2015.
Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy. 2012-2017. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.