Winning 1st 3 prizes for solo(s)/group(s) in Indian Dance Competitions for over a decade in our genre of specialization for non-voting Indian Dance Competitions sounds like a big thing. It actually isn’t if you follow curriculum and keep it fun. For us, it has been a norm for Bharatanatyam, Indian Folk Dances & Bollywood/Some Tollywood and from 2013-Fusion!
HOW ? We love to share how we have been winning from over a decade in all the “stage dance competitions” and how our elites have come this far with such good paid commitments.
So, here’s our HOW TO Win Indian Dance Competitions for Dummies…! Our Fool Proof guidelines and tips for those interested.
One of main attributes in stage competitions/for all genres are : Techniques. Techniques also means right amount of expressions required at certain techniques or mood used in the dance, coordination if group, comfort level of dancers with respect to dance, stage presence and personality, choreography, costumes, makeup and drama aspect. To do it right, you have to feel it and go through it which at Grace And Grooves is a norm! Because our owner herself comes from that background of competitions from over 2 decades! Read About Ms. Hetal Nagaraj.
To begin with, what are the types of dances ?
Be it Bharatanatyam, Indian folk dances or Bollywood/Movie inspired dances; usually these dances are non-commercial dances. For bollywood or tollywood dance industry genre, there is level of dance and name of dance as well. As we all know that bollywood dances emerge from various forms or styles or certain drama attributes and thus will always have name.
However, there are certain category of dances within bollywood that do not have name because they do no follow a form or style and are purely for entertainment or let’s just say – NO RULES thus, these dances makes them commercial dances and usually gets disqualified in first round itself if you do it in-spite of rules given. Open category of competitions usually accepts these for example – most reality show competitions are based on this! That dance industry/world is entirely different than education studio. Education world competitions are to encourage the dancer to follow the rules, get finer in it and excel with feedbacks and let’s just say prepare them for higher grounds of possibilities within the form or with fusions later, if trained. Then, break the rules-it is completely dancers wish and instructor’s wish! None-the-less, our students have won these open category dance competitions with their actual dance forms itself or with fusion depending on what is allowed. Usually it will depend on judges, number of rounds in competitions and students training level in that genre. Everything goes in there…
For Bharatanatyam/Classical Dances & indian folk dances, the category is always non-commercial and standard as it is dance form. Even for entertainment, creativity is out of this world if used within the form. Most classical dances are actual dance formats/margams itself and then there are dance dramas. Not to confuse with dance musicals!
There is this entire category of exclusive Indian Folk Dances that is entirely different than the dances that are into Community stage dances/cultural dances/regional dances/bollywood inspired folk dances/ethnic dances/creative folk dances. Why ? Because of rubrics of judging and rules that go with it is entirely different for both these categories. You cannot possibly compare Folk Dances rubrics to Bollywood or with Bharatanatyam. With Bollywood having different types of techniques and some folk dances do not even have expressions as their main factor. Likewise, Bharatanatyam nritta if done will lack several attributes of nritya or natyam itself. So rubrics are often kept in % by the genre or type of entries.
Depending on competitions, they categorize fusion dances or they put them in open category. Concept of fusion dances is very simple! Some go by dance done on other music to be considered as fusion because their argument is that if dance is not danced on its actual/real music then it is not that dance. That is true but if u do not consider music at all and see the dance without music; what will you name it? That raises lot of fundamental questions. So these occurrences have been very rare in over 10 years of history that we have participated. We had 2 such competitions that we came across in entire history of 10+ years where they had that kind of rule! We got 1st place in both anyway. The only argument to this was you cannot name that dance as fusion unless 2 or more dance form or styles are used. Rest are very clear about categories & thus you’ll know it well.
Then comes the judges. First experience is always a question for you because these competitions do not tell you who the judges are and some do not specify the rubrics either but when you test waters, you’ll know! We had tested some waters — we decided not to waste time there as they were bias to one team based on their friendly relations! Then be it that way, you should call only them!
Some competitions are very transparent to names of judges and their experiences and that is fun! Last but not the least, whether or not there it is any voting. If voting then how many % is counted towards total judging points. What age group we are competing in one category/genre is also important factor for stage like dances!!
Then comes, prize money if there is one or something of that sort. Then it is motivating for students who are doing competitions regularly or something of that equivalent value. Nobody wants a 10$ trophy after spending money on hours of practices, competition fees, costumes and that just adds to a collection without a meaning!
For us at Grace And Grooves, it has been other way round. Our students have earned more, earned bigger opportunties than what they put money in! It is just boring for our students who have competed from over 10 years now to go for $10 trophies without the meaning to it. They rather spend money 50 to 60$ and do shows with us where they know they are going to get recognition, feathers to wear that they can own as skill-set, showcase as their own, perks, discounts and many more fun things to take home. A beautiful memory to take home. Budget is very important factor too!
Alas, comes the winning part after all that! Most difficult & unpredictable of all!
Just like that you do not get the wins in 1st 3 places & $$$ prizes. Here are some standard points that we have come across for rubrics in judgement & we would absolutely love to share with you:
1. Expressions 40% depending on genre. Some genres strongly requires that this element isn’t the part of dance because of restrictions on costumes, mask, type of song/pure technique competitions, or certain type of dramas. so % is then distributed.
2. Techniques 50% & % is distributed
3. Comfort level of dance & body movements-rest % divided, solo or group and as per difficulty level.
4. Coordination to music-rest % divided, if solo or group.
6. Costumes-rest % divided
7. Makeup / Dramatic effects of dance : % is divided by genre.
7. Props & usages
8. Choreography and Innovation in dance form without losing genre category—-some competitions have this highest! some have these 2 seperate.
10. Culture aspect depending on dance (if required depending on competitions since we have been to some of most difficult & strict competitions too!!!)
Sounds easy ? See you there..!!!!
Congrats to all our elites Nirja Setty, Samarth Setty, Setty Siblings, Ashna Pethe, Hetal Nagaraj, and lot of our graduates who have won them through a decade as they grew with us by balancing not only personal life but studies too.
Check out their real dances & results as they have been doing it beautifully and gracefully like cute little swans! Click Here.
Read about these budding stars : Here.
See their dance trainings at : https://www.graceandgrooves.com/our-graduates
Our Performing Teams too have won several such auditions/competitions or are called for special paid appearances : https://www.graceandgrooves.com/our-performing-team
Do not forget to sign up or subscribe our Youtube Channel Playlists. You will find lot of videos of our competition students, recreational dances, party dances, margam dances for classical dances, audition videos, our program videos, media releases & videos of different age groups starting from 3.5 to 5 years onwards to Adults 50+, and many more!!! Do not miss the Teenagers tribute of fun dances they do.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reachh Mediaa for Hetal Joshi Nagaraj| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : 2012-2020.
This material can not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- downloading archives 🙂
- will be posted soon!
- Until then Hang out on our You-Tube Channel where glimpse of all our team will be or is/posted with names!
Celebrating all our guest artists who have performed with us in past in our journey of dance productions. These guest artist are invited to come and perform with their own work. The talent that they perform are not taught by us. These are not our students either. They have their own dance/talent academy at some place/city or have their own group that they perform. We pick their performance piece dance based on our dance production.
These Guest Artist are local or new artists who have just stepped in the world of Indian Performing Arts or have just started performing.
It is our absolute honor to introduce them to our audiences and as well work with them.
2016 : Dance of Gods : Adi-Shakti. Event : A fundraiser for CRY America showcasing Bharatanatyam, Bollywood, Indian Folk Dances. Fusion Dances by Elites in respective categories. Guest Artist : Dancer : Meghna Murali, A Bharatanatyam dance presentation on Devi. Singer : Mala Pydimari, Carnatic Singer.
2017 : Jalso : Celebration of Life with Dance, Event : Nritya Ki Masti, Navarasa in Bharatanatyam, Bollywood And Indian Folk Dances. A seperate presentation of Fusion Dances was also showed by our own students, elites-trained in 3 different dance forms/styles. Guest Artist : Dancer : Easter Bunny. 2018 : ABCD - American Born Cultured Desi Event : Participating fundraiser for a private foundation-Cqunce Inc. Dances in Bharatanatyam, Bollywood & Indian Folk Dances featuring Festivals of India or celebrated by Indians outside India. A special 11 minute tribute to Shahrukh Khan - King of Bollywood. Exclusive Fusion Dances were showcased by our elites who are trained in 2-3 different dance forms. Guest Artists : Dances : Mishu Shashtri with her team for Bollywood Garba featuring Navratri. Ritu Kharbanda with her team of Rang Barse duet featuring Holi. Instruments : Arjun Iyer (Middle Schooler, LISD School Band)-Clarinet & Keyboard. Kedar Golvekar : Introducing Music for SRK Tribute on Guitar.
2019 : Anantha-1 Dance Production. Event : An Exclusive Dance Production featuring a full Bharatanatyam Margam,Copyright Dances in Bharatanatyam, Folk Dances of India featuring North, East, West & South India. Special presentation by Elites for Fusion dances such as Swala Jathi, Rabindra Nruthya. Fully trained in their own dances. Guest Artist : Dances : Rinku Das for Kathak Classical Dances Rinku Das for Manipuri Classical Dances. Rinku Das was also introducing choreographer for our company that year. Singing : Our own elite student-Ashna Pethe representing LISD choir.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi | Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2019. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
We thought of compiling the list of parents who work for us as an applaud to their services and volunteer assignments when they are able to do so for all our social media, ads, flyer printing, customer service, entry submissions to our organizers, website maintenance, costumes maintenance and costumes.
They either come to us or they do it from their place. They dance with us or their kids dance with us with their own freelance group terms due to their full time travel or local jobs. There may be times when our company calls may be directed to any of them and they do not work as payroll or more than hour so they may not disclose their names and there is no remuneration involved. ALL school/college/internships are paid to students, as applicable. Volunteer assignments are given as well.
It is exclusively for the love of dance. Joining Date to Ending Dates as applicable.
- Shruti Sheladia : intern/holidays/as available. August 2012 to December 2013.
- Internship : August 2012 to August 2013 : No show
- Leadership Work : August 2013 to December 2013 : No show.
- Reason for leaving : Let go, No show.
- Mansi Chauhan : intern/holidays/as available.
- Internship August 2014 to August 2015.
- Leadership Work January 2015 to July 2019, as available.
- Reason for leaving : Travel/Studies and own college dance.
- Rinku Das : Nov 2018 to August 2019 : Direct Hire.
- Performed her own solo dance performance in Classical Manipuri and Classical Kathak Dances in Anantha-1 2019 – Indian Classical Dance Production by Hetal Nagaraj.
- Reason for leaving : Let go, No Enrollments.
- Digvijay Singh. aka Dg or Dj, Jasmindar & family : August 2018/2019.
- Internship August 2018 to March 2019, as available.
- Leadership Work March 2019.
- Hetal Shah Patel, Patel & Family. : August 2016.
- Vanita Patel : August 2018
- Jinal Shah Mehta : August 2018
- Kalpana Sai : March 2019
- Shweta Jagadish : August 2016
- Deepthi Chandrasekaran : solo artist/teach as available/from Jan 2014
- Internships and own Solo(s) : Jan 2014 to December 2015
- Leadership Work from December 2015, as available
- Sindhu J : March 2014 Student to performing team/Graduate.
- Leadership Work August 2018
- Kavitha R : August 2018
- Tejaswini K : August 2018
- Student to performing team/Graduate in January 2019 Anantha.
- Mandi Parikh : intern/holidays. : August 2018.
- Internship As available.
- Samar B & Family : January 2019 Onwards.
- Internship January to August 2019.
- Leadership Work August 2019.
- Prushti Dave :
- Internship March 2019 – August 2019.
- Leadership Work August 2019 onwards.
- Anamika Jain : June 2019.
- Performing team/freelance/under training.
- Ketki S : New : June 2019 to October 2019.
- Reason for leaving : Unable to commit due to travels.
- Nimisha Sri : intern/holidays. March 2019
- Devi S/Balasundaram : New – Sept 2019 to Oct 31 2019.
- Reason for leaving : Started some business.
- Puja Natesan : New. Student to performing team/Graduate.
- Continued Education/Performing team. Come see her graduate at Anantha-2020.
- Jeya Ravi : New
- External-Continued Education/Performing team/under training.
- Yagna Pathak(Sept 2019 1st week – October 1st week) : Freelance projects, on-boarding trial period.
- Rachita Umesh(Feb 2020) : Freelance short-term projects, on-board trial period/processing, background check pending.
This post is an appreciation to these lovely people for spending their precious time for us. We have received lot of rumors about who works for us or Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj. These people are very well set in their life with their full time job commitments. We trust them because of their contributions to our company and its work.
They have not worked with any other dance company so far that we know of due to our thorough background check or if they have, they have disclosed it to us about their equations. We feel thankful and blessed.
Copyright Reach Media for Hetal Nagaraj | Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | 2012-2020. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
We will need the following if you would like us to sponsor you or even if we send invite then also we need these papers and details to apply for visa. Each country has different criteria and eligibility for artist.
- Copy of your eligibility such as certificates, website or you-tube links, resumes with pictures, videos and such credentials. Your past or current workshop or practice video clips per artist as required for total number of people if there are more than 1 person in group.
- Your experience details and such in the field.
- Copy of passports, legal status in your country, local addresses of your sponsored company if you come with that, local addresses of your residence or office if you have one.
- Picture id as per passport as stated on the immigration website.
- More about international artist requirements : https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement
- Please contact 972 979 2559 for all the details. Timeline and planning from start to finish to prepare for all visa or documents is anywhere from a year to 6months and depending on when you get appointment at your regional office for visa.
You can reach Hetal at : https://www.facebook.com/hetaljoshinagaraj
Hetal Nagaraj has worked in immigration field as immigration consultant in India for all kinds of visas and has experience of over 5 years in this field as an exclusive. She will be very happy to have you onboard and do shows or workshops for us and anybody who may be interested.
Grace And Grooves is fully registered company.
Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | 2012-2019. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.