Recital 2018 concept and theme was decided in 2016 by Hetal Nagaraj.
The students in beginning of 2017 were actually taught dances like-wise throughout the year covering just the basics staying in their own category.
The whole idea got the shape in October 2017 when a rough playlist was made. A couple of these dances were also showcased in some of local talent competitions (September-October 2017), Diwali Mela(s)-(November 2017) at various places and other local festival stages. And a few of these had already won the awards too such as Pushpanjali, Madhurashtakam (Practice video-Selected for finals).
With all the influences of Non.Indian Culture in our Indian Dances, Dramas and thus our lives, we thought of showing how a life of our next generations that are brought up here. As it says, A=American, B=Born, C=Confused, D=Desis. But for our students of Grace And Grooves, C stands for CULTURED DESI, CLEAR FUNDAMENTALS, AND CRYSTAL CUT Diamond like TALENTS. Talents that can’t be beaten, Talents that can’t be judged with shallow mark-ups or untrained eyes and Talents that can’t be shadowed.
Grace And Grooves is an Indian Dance School where students know difference between Bollywood And Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood And Bharatnatyam, Bharatnatyam and Indian Folk, Semi-Classical And Bharatnatyam too!
So the recital program 2018 of Grace And Grooves had Pure Bharatnatyam that showcased the richness of Indian Classical Dances to Fun Indian Folk, Fusion Folk, Movie Types Semi-Classical Dances infused with & without Desi-HipHop to real semi-classical dances, Bollywood Modern-Contemporary Desi-HipHop Fusions and Folk And the dance dramas inspired from movies such as Bahubali, Veer Zaara & many more.
Grace And Grooves successfully completed NAVARASA as per Natya Shashtra Guidelines in Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk Dances And Bollywood/Movie Dances in 2017-2018 year. All the dances are directed or choreographed exclusively by Hetal Nagaraj unless otherwise mentioned. Our Company Choreographers contributed with dances on Ramta Jogi by Mansi Chauhan and Ganesh Kavtuvam by Buvuneshwari Murugan.
We cannot forget Indian Movies that teaches us to dream big and live-happily ever after within our cultural boundaries—no matter where we go. Thus, our Special Feature of the evening & 90s Tribute was An Exclusive Tribute to Shahrukh Khan of Bollywood – SRK as we know him. It showcased non-stop 11 mins of SRK’s movie dances by around 20+ students and special appearances from Raghu K and Pavithra K. Videos will be shortly available.
Very first time in our recital, we had Guest Choreographers with Rang Barse-Holi Remix Tribute by Ritu Kharbanda and Bollywood Garba on Nagada Sang Dhol Baaje By Mishu Shashtri. Our Guest-Artist this time was a young artist – Arjun Iyer, Age 11 who played various notes starting from National Anthem of USA with music to notable Tamil Songs on Keyboard-Piano and Clarinet. Guest choreographer Ritu Kharbanda contributed with song of Om Shanti Om to our SRK non.stop dance extravaganza as her contribution to salute our King Khan with Harshita and Gargi.
All students, choreographers were acknowledged with participating medals and certificates during the show and later-during the classes. Below are the all the pictures, Enjoy And Don’t forget to sign up for our lessons : www.graceandgrooves.com
Phone : 972 979 2559
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/GraceAndGrooves
Twitter : https://twitter.com/GraceAndGrooves
Golden Era of Movies in various Languages : 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s From Semi-Classical Mujras To Desi Hip Hop Infused with various Indian Folk Dances.Concept,Choreography, Choreographer, Direction by Hetal Nagaraj.
Special Thanks To Arjun Iyer, Mishu Shastri, Ritu Kharbanda for their wonderful participation in Recital 2018, A Fusion Life of ABCD.
Special Thanks To :
Kedar Golvelkar For Music on Guitar (Ankhon Mein Teri),
Bhagwat Pandya For Sound Services
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi Nagaraj| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | Kalasri Classical Dance Academy : 2012-2018.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Post Updated : March 15, 2018.
Ballet = 50$ for 4 classes, Tap = 50$ for 4 classes, Jazz = 50$ for 4 classes….All of them $50 and above with registration fees(starts from $25), costume fees($30 & up), and recital fees($30 and up). We could go on and on.
Why so many charges. We can name it as American Dances and just sell it all together ?Yes-by all means. If you could do Indian Dances as all in one package as nobody cares; you could just as well do all in one package for American Dances-why would anybody care.
Why discrimination of names. Who cares ?
If answer is NO then why is that Bharatnatyam, Bollywood and Indian Folk Dances are tagged just as “Indian Dances” and are sold in 1 package. Why is it that Indian Dances are so under valued? To an artist who knows what it means to teach those with just the basics, yes-there is discrimination there. Ballet is a dance form just like Bharatnatyam or any Indian Classical Dance is. Indian Folk Dance is a dance-form just like Tap which has styles in variations and they all vary by region, culture and countries too! Or yes, we could have one Folk Dance or Just dance for all countries-How Beautiful It Would Be. But, It Is Not Possible. Let’s do more on that…Let’s be flexible with costumes and clothing…Fashion, Trend, we could on and onn..oh yeah, let’s just not follow the rules-Right!
Here’s a request. Do you have to wear ballet clothes to learn the dance ? Why ? I could wear leggings and just go there. Nobody cares. But yes, as an artist, I will care because to get into the form especially when you are in training—-it is absolutely important that you get used to its attire and all that is required. Why ? To handle the stress of entire required clothing as basics. It is environment that you are giving your body to train with all that physical work going on while dancing.
So why is it that, it is stressful for you as an Indian to reinforce Indian values and not ask your kids to wear Indian dresses and go to any of the Indian Dance Classes but you are absolutely fine having them wear those tight stockings of ballet with a tiny skirt that shows their hip line. or have them wear sports shoes in PE. Well-we would love to see somebody wear heels and play soccer :)..Rules are to keep your body safe.
Are you telling me that learning Ballet is important. Ballet that does not have any correlation to Indian Culture but is importantly forced to child that is brought up in America ? For ? Whom are you pleasing ? Where are the roots ? Where is the culture ?
So why are the Indian Dances so under valued from their selling points, names, rules, costumes and I could go on and on? Every other person in the end of the street wants to teach Bollywood Dances. Agree. Its fun. But do you understand the complexities that comes with it without having fundamentals of body dynamics and lot of other factors that affect dancer’s life in later years and if it is safe for child ? Even if it is for FUN.
Would you give your child to somebody who just likes doing it without the knowing how it actually works in doing it. We can have doctors likewise-why do you need a 5-8 year degree to study medicines. Google helps these days-doesn’t it. Think about savings for you-no insurance, no obligations of going annual visits and we could go on and on….!!
Why are Indian Dances so under-valued ? Is it that we as Indians don’t value it ? Or is it that being on Non-Indian land, we are taught to live a compromised life of under-valuing every single thing that is attached to our Indian culture. To do what ? To embrace values that does not teach my own culture and to leave your own values ? Creativity is such a beautiful thing-Why ruin it at the cost of children and doing it all wrong. Can’t we keep it beautiful, graceful like the way it should be ? What good it does to your child ? Think! It only leaves your child totally confused in future. ABCD : American Born Confused Desi !! Yep…But at Grace And Grooves, ABCD stands for American Born Cultured Desis. A Desi who is very very clear about every single thing that they do from dances, costumes, makeup and we could go on and on.
Here at Grace And Grooves, we reinforce the values and Indian culture by means of Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood And Bharatnatyam just the way its supposed to be done with fundamentals as our basic goals to practice safety. Creativity automatically follows with training. We know how it works as our founding member, Ms. Hetal Nagaraj did it all her life ever-since age 4 step by step, one at a time and still she is able to switch between genres of any Indian Dance Forms without any mistakes, even by a mistake. It is the training only! Training teaches you to be in discipline of your own dance form or style and you will deliver exactly whats required. It is like learning 1+1=2 and the answer is same, no matter what time of day you wakeup to! And so we follow the same. You can only imagine how long the journey was for Ms. Hetal Nagaraj to reach at this level. The comfort level of each dance is taught in a very beautiful way just the way our founding member has learned while balancing her life. This is exclusively done in particular methodology combined with knowledge of training, sportsmanship and psychology so that your child is NOT confuse about what they are doing and delivers it safely. Somebody who has done this by balancing her life in place like India where being a girl itself means responsibility and in that, think about how early it was for her when she had a bed-ridden mother for over a decade & was brought-up by people around her, most importantly-a man/her dad. All of this experience with a masters degree in her own mainstream education, national level sports qualifications and several other list of professional certifications. None of it was possible without training!
We at Grace And Grooves feel blessed of parting all of this knowledge to our students for any dance forms/styles/types/categories that we teach. We love how we do it, we love what we do and we absolutely love when we see our students as AMERICAN BORN CULTURED DESIS.
We love to teach students of Grace And Grooves who know how to draw a fine line of NOT GETTING CONFUSED and still embrace all the fun, trend-fashion etc that comes with practical life on American lands. A musical presented by students of Grace And Grooves LLC on A FUSION LIFE OF ABCD, where our ABCD stands for American Born Cultured Desi. This program is on March 4, 2018 at Plano Courtyard Theatre, Plano and it features Mainstream Traditional Bharatnatyam in several languages, Indian Folk Dances, Bollywood/Tollywood/Indian Movie Dances in several languages, Fusion Dances and Creative Dances(that don’t belong to any categories/forms or styles). Come and see yourself – Difference!
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media. Written by Reach Media in participation with Hetal Nagaraj for Community Knowledge and Welfare| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2017 | Mirchi Dance Academy | Nruthyakala Dance Academy. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
CALL NOW to schedule your class 972 979 2559 OR just schedule it at : http://www.graceandgrooves.com. Email : Info@graceandgrooves.com
BHARATANATYAM, INDIAN FOLK DANCES OR BOLLYWOOD…..Trained, Not Trained : How does it matter ?
Story is all the same….So what’s the difference ? Just read and understand. It is for your child – not for me 🙂
Over the past several years we have come across plenty of untrained dancers/teachers. We needed help too for private groups as our assistants and thus we had an opportunity to get this straight! My job was to not allow them to do those mistakes if they worked under me so they were strictly supervised. Some made it to choreographer’s list while others’ couldn’t because they choose to do it wrong. Thought it will be wonderful way to educate our community to understand what is right and what is wrong—and most importantly-why…..!
How does it matter ? Why not ? Dance — that’s why ? Why don’t you care about HOW your child spends 1 hour/a week for learning to move his body? That’s 4 hours a month we are talking about, a minimum!
Dance is subtle type of sport because all the body movements are cleverly put together to give a good work-out adding nothing but grace and beautiful tone to your body. Ever wondered how some dancers may not have a perfectly toned body but still are able to dance so beautifully and freely? Dance teaches their body likewise. But otherwise, an average person can burn about 100-400 calories in an hour depending on age, dance level, style or form or just be free dances; this without injuring yourself if you do it right. So, why would you NOT consider being taught safely ?
What has safety to do with Indian dances, go ahead…get the read! Here’s major differences I saw amongst 2 different types of teachers around us, irrespective of their work with us.
Trained Dancers/Teachers :
- Trained teachers will teach your child safety-FIRST so that they can dance all their life.
- Trained teachers know practice routine protocols.
- Trained teachers will know in and out of forms, styles and variations or will make efforts to educate themselves even for creative dances.
- Bollywood, Tollywood, Movie Dances, Creative Folk etc. are all creative dances and do not rule out a style or form.
- Do not mistake these as Indian Folk Dances or any means of representation for specific culture or community.
- Trained teachers will never allow their students to go out of form or style in designated dance category.
- Trained teachers will spark your creativity, challenge you and still NOT allow you to get lost in the name of creativity. A fine-line on when you should stop being creative or well–just change the category and name it something else.
- Trained teachers will never allow your child to take a leap when they are not ready.
- Trained teachers will stick to techniques, rules of the art-forms, styles and thus will follow the protocol of teaching right stuff at right time and this will automatically increase the quality of dance with least work. No dance was ever-made to ruin the fun of it or harm anybody.
- Do not mistake curriculum or concepts with fundamentals!
- Trained teachers are often taught performance techniques, stage presence, personality and many such performance attributes as most Indian Performing Arts follow vedas and shastras as their rule book or for inspirations. Amazed to know that our vedas and shastras have these ? YES-they do!
- For the forms and styles that do not follow these scriptures, books or such guidelines-these have NOW matured to a decent level of basic rules to be met to be recognized as that form/style with or without variation and thus given that name!
- Trained teacher’s imagination, motivation, inspirations and decisions are self-driven and will not depend on any factors (irrespective of dirty politics in the name of serving any organization). This includes from opening dance school to providing different services and all the choreography works. All of this is geared automatically from knowledge, years of training and self-made set-goals.
- Other than putting their own practice hours to their respective art-form/style or creative dance, you will not find trained dancers/teachers struggling to do a choreography. They know exactly what they are doing as it is their way of life.
- Trained teachers will not experiment on your child without knowing the setbacks of the choreography for any complex movements.
- Nobody ever likes it when training begins but when trained-they are in love with it & will probably never completely leave it and will be proud of those achievements.
It is not everybody’s cup of tea to stay committed in Indian Performing Arts.
Untrained Dancers/Teachers :
Untrained teachers are often those who love doing it and have no idea most of the times what they do in the name of forms or styles that they claim to do.
- They often get lost in the name of creativity!
- Some experiments are good (not beautiful);some are god knows what!
- Some are pure acrobats, poses or formations and in that—dance is forgotten 🙂
- Untrained teachers will challenge your kids without safety measures.
- RESULT : By the time child reaches their teens or are in 20s-broken necks, bad hips, fundamental mistakes for not doing it in right form/style while practicing the form/styles and that will injure them in later life, wrong body movements leading to serious sprains n leg-pains/ankle pains in later life (mostly for women after marriage or kids), injured interests and certain negativity towards certain dances–all of this resulting into total chaos in their brain about the dances they learned. I come across these fresh college graduates often in various dance competitions where I judge and upon hearing, I feel horrible for them that they have so many physical injuries at such young age and all of them because of dance! Some learned it hard way-how sad.
- And coming back to these untrained teachers, you have one more generation of students who were trained and god knows in what and how ? And they have no idea of what they are doing – Do you want to stop encouraging it, NOW?
- Untrained teachers often rely on online resources as shared knowledge & whatever they can grasp from wherever possible and thus their own knowledge is often shallow. They do not exhibit techniques in their dances.
- I had once a discussion. I was left amazed. Everybody is attracted to beauty-it comes with sacrifices(training). Dance—-Beauty is not by looks-it is by skills. If you are stressing hard on rule 1 of dance to have a beautiful face——-Go, walk the ramp!
- Most of dance make-up is inspired from looks described in relevant dance-characters, obviously being beautiful counts to some level but don’t rule that as first rule of being dancer!
- If you don’t have daughter who is not very beautiful–you would just put her off the dance? really ?
- Even the most beautiful skin color has to put the bharatnatyam makeup onn to respect it. And if you have small or big beautiful eyes–you still have to put those additional eye-liners to give dramatic effects on ur face. They all look the same when dressed up !
- Go visit Kalakshetra Institute of Performing Arts of Rukmani Devi where Bharatnatyam was re-born (Chennai-Tamilnadu, India) and you will see how the basic level of talent will kick your pretty skin color out of your body.
- You will not even blink once looking at the discipline in simple sets of dance sequences.
- Everything is just okay to these untrained teachers in the name of dance even when dance form/style will not give “okay” for it to be in same name. Wait, what ? Role models to kids ? Right!!
- This point had me nuts. I came across an untrained teacher who has this really inappropriate dressing sense on stage for students with respect to their skin color and then the lady mocks them before parents for looking hideous in those dresses. Is this a role model to kids and you are a dance teacher mocking your own kids ? right!
- Untrained teacher don’t do human errors but they do repeated blunders in almost every performances as in fundamentals. At times, these are often not related to any means to form or style. Role model to kids ?
Must include-these are not beautiful blunders but their disastrous mistakes do not represent the dance forms or styles that claim to be so. Our students do those beautiful blunders too but in their own form or styles(LOL).
- Ever wondered-why we NEVER end up making a mistake of stepping out of our form or style? Training….!! Nobody is perfect but come-on, you can’t get an equation right if the formula used is ALL wrong! Role Model to kids ??
- Untrained teachers request to seek private lessons from the child for the sake of putting up their work irrespective of what they are doing. At times, it doesn’t even fall into any category. Where is learning part ?
- These untrained teachers are confused about what they are doing esp. in Indian Folk Dances, and Indian Classical Dances(Bharatnatyam). They often relate to dance as mode of entertainment when today Indian Performing Arts has come to whole different level with enough set of rules to seperate each form, style with or without variation. Audiences were much mature back then as well and so they are now!
- Untrained teachers don’t get things done with techniques and appropriate ways and thus result of class – lame/lousy performances that don’t even show form/style of dance(forget about everything else), Yelling and getting mad at child, shouting, bitching about child, spreading dirty talks of child, asking ur child to shut their mouth when child is expressing pain or something related to dance steps being taught. Role model to kids?? Right…!
- Over-competitive for everything and then loose it. Oh yeah-blame it on kids, their moods, their personal life issues, blaming on parents forcing dance(activities) on kids and we can go on and on!
- Our 2 cents to these kind of untrained teachers—if your life is disturbing you so much then why teach dance and deal with kids & later blame their parents and kids?
- Lack of knowledge or training will put you in such awkward situations that you just can’t handle the pressures of your own field…! Role Model To kids ?? Right.
- These untrained teachers want to do everything that others’ do if by any chance they come across them doing them….Blind cow ?
- Our question to these untrained teachers : Don’t do it if you can’t handle it. Just don’t do it wrong. You are hurting innocents.
Whom do you want to trust your child ? Whom do you want your child to follow as role-model ? Choice is ALL yours.
YOU HAVE ONE UNIQUE CHILD THAT IS YOURS & your child has one body, one life.
IF YOU ARE GIVING YOUR CHILD A GLASS OF MILK AND CALLING IT AS GLASS OF MILK
MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE YOUR CHILD Right DANCE EDUCATION;
IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT that DANCE !
Oh yeah, don’t get me started on adding chocolate to the milk…I can easily eat that with hot jalebi and Mirchi as a side! I love my life. I can have Dussehra-everyday if that’s when you would prefer to eat this and my family is going to be perfectly fine with it…It is called freedom but I like to keep myself healthy. And it is called responsibility.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media. Written by Hetal Joshi for Community Knowledge and Welfare| Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2017 | Mirchi Dance Academy | Nruthyakala Dance Academy. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
CALL NOW to schedule your class . 972 979 2559. Info@graceandgrooves.com
Grace And Grooves – Student Of The Year
This section of Blog is exclusively dedicated to all our students’ achievements with Grace And Grooves LLC. These are the students who take every opportunity to excel not only as part of team work but also as part of their individual growth and performances in their respective dance forms or types (if Bollywood-Movie Dances!). These students take regular classes just like all the other students but the only thing they do differently is identify the opportunities given to them by their teachers and make the best use of it. We also like to call them swans.
These students of Grace And Grooves are the examples of achieving balance in life, elegance, and beautiful results that you get with proper training at the right time from all the right people! There is no short-cuts to learning any dance forms/types. If you want to do it then you will do it, no matter what life throws at you! Times when they had lemons around, these students have made a lemonade and nailed it! All pictures below are subject to change if parents send us more pictures 🙂
2018-2019 : Aanya Kocchar :
- Ms. Aanya Kocchar joined Grace And Grooves as an exclusive Bharatnatyam Student in 2015 when we started teaching structured Bharatnatyam Program at Lewisville, Texas under the guru-shishya parampara with Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj exclusively.
When it comes to balancing life with education, performing arts and all the other activities that kids have to take up today just to achieve normal expectancy as per school curriculum, it has never been easy!
As per our Student of the year criteria, she has been an excellent role model to all our younger Bharatanatyam dancers who will look upon her an example going forward. Never Give Up because learning an art-form is never easy and there are NO SHORT-CUTS.
Aanya has performed with Grace And Grooves in several in-house dance productions with her exclusive Bharatnatyam Dances without forsaking fundamentals of her own art-form Bharatanatyam for all our recitals, community events as well as exclusively Hetal Nagaraj’s dance productions.
Her notable dances are Bharatnatyam Nruthyam-Gujarati Sahitya Dance Duet (Literature) and Hetal Nagaraj’s Master Degree university level work of exclusive Bharatnatyam-Pushpanjali, and Allaripu(main margam items). She continues to learn her next level in Bharatnatyam at Lewisville, Texas with Mrs. Hetal Nagaraj and is now a 5th Grader. We are so proud of you!
- She receives $200 worth of services from our partners and friend-businesses to excel in her interest in the journey of Bharatanatyam. One Step At A Time, Nice And Easy.
- Updated : Jan 11, 2019.
2017-2018 : Samarth Setty
- His first dance was a valentine dance with girl at the age of 3.5 where he showed his ability to act, dance & make people laugh/smile by showing his natural dance skills, dance etiquettes that were taught to him by his Montessori teachers.
- Stage presence was natural to him just like his sister.
- Our little macho man had his struggles of taking breaks in learning dance because of his birth weight, body type but he never gave up.
- From a husky body type to making his body a lean-mean fat-burning machine, he has amazed us of what he could do with proper training, discipline and diet plans that his mom prepares for him.
- His official journey of dance training in Indian Folk Dances started at the age of 6, Bharatnatyam at the age of 7, Bollywood at the age of 7 and then he never looked back! Prior to these years, he would appear on stage as side/back stage-dancer.
- Amongst all our girls, at times he is the only Krishna, Shiva, captain, our Rahul who comes to save the day for lot of our group dances even when he is not dancing for full song. At times he is not instructed of what he needs to do except for dance steps if they were to match with group..it comes out naturally to him, without training and knowledge of dance forms/styles.(Environment)
- From group dance dramas to Solo(s) in Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk Dances and Bollywood/Movie Dances, he has done it all. He has successfully performed, competed and won competitions as solo artist from 2nd place to 3rd place with only 1 hour a week of dance lessons.
- His training teachers are : Buvaneshwari Murugan(Jatiswaram, Ganesh Kavtuvam) & Hetal Nagaraj (Pushpanjali, Allaripu, Jatiswaram, Thillana, Shabhdam, Bho-Shamboo and several dance dramas from Gujarati Literature to Telugu Literature) for Bharatanatyam, Indian Folk Dances-Hetal Nagaraj, Bollywood-Hetal Nagaraj and Mansi Chauhan.
- His workshops include : Intermediate-Advance Workshop with Shakti Mohan-2015.
- He is a perfect example of perseverance, inherited natural talent, stage presence and a best example for kids who feel like giving up, only because of body-type.
- He receives photo-shoots worth $250, competition discounts and several other perks from our participating businesses.
- Updated-Feb 13, 2018.
Ashna Pethe – 2016-2017
- From recreational dancer(Age-10) to now our elite team dancer and this years’ 1st
prize winner in Non-Classical-Category(Bollywood). Lewisville-Texas. Now 13.
- Locations of Workshops, Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas.
- Ashna won A $200 gift hamper that includes a photo-shoot and a FREE professional profiling and several free perks from Grace And Grooves LLC.
- A perfect example of no short-cuts to success and yet balancing it beautifully with unbeatable graceful performances.
- She has bagged 1st place in non-classical category and has cleared several competitions in state of Texas. (Update-September 29, 2017).
- Ashna dances 1-2 hours a week Bollywood at Elite Level w/Elite Team for Grace And Grooves, paid and unpaid performances.
- She has taken advance workshops with Hetal Nagaraj, Mansi Chauhan And Shakti Mohan for Indian Folk Dances, Professional Bharatnatyam, Professional Kathak and Contemporary.
Diya Kadiyala, 2015-2016.
- First Indian Folk Dance Solo Artist under the age of 5 (under official company name Grace And Grooves other than Nirja Setty) successfully performed 3.2 minute of Indian Folk Dance. Twice!!
- Audience : 100 People. Selected/Cleared Auditions for 2 different competitions in 2015. Irving-Texas. Age 4.5. Now 6.
- Locations of Performances : Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Frisco-Texas.
- You are a perfect example of following directions just as taught at such a young age that too in Indian Folk Dances.
- Diya took Free private classes(2) worth $50 during the regular classes. A Free costume rental on our elite line of costumes and a waive off on registration fees for second year. ($30).
Nirja Setty, 2014-2015.
- Winner of 6 (now 6) technique focused Indian Dance Competitions in Indian Folk Dances, Fusion and Bharatnatyam(2016).
- Nirja won Free Costumes and Jewelry from one of our friend-sponsors worth $100. Free Tickets to concert-$30.
- A girl known to challenge judges’ knowledge in competitions as compared to her age group. Irving, Lewisville-Texas. Age 9. NOW 11.
- You are a perfect example of perfect expressions/looks in Indian Performing arts-anytime a picture is taken and yet it just as graceful and beautiful. All of this with a beautiful balance in life!
- Her average competition prize money amounted to $200-$300 by 2015 in various school competitions for Bharatnatyam and Indian Folk Dances.
- Nirja regularly dances 1-hour a week in : Bharatnatyam(in 2 styles), Bollywood and Indian Folk Dances with Hetal Nagaraj and Alpana Jacob (outside Grace And Grooves LLC).
- Locations of Workshops, Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas, Allen-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Flowermound-Texas, Arlington-Texas.
- She has taken advance workshops with Mansi Chauhan, Hetal Nagaraj and Shakti Mohan for Professional Kathak and Contemporary. She has also danced National Level Competition Fogana 2013 w/Indu Mangrola-Sursangam Dance Company.
Srinija Burra, 2013-2014 :
- Outstanding Recreational Indian Folk Dance Artist – (Solo) Recreational Folk Program.
- Audiences from 100 to 500 People. Irving-Texas. Age 6. NOW 11.
- Srinija won Free Customized Costumes from our elite line of costumes and Free Tickets to performances worth $75.
- Won competitions with Grace And Grooves LLC as in group for Indian Folk Dances held Dallas-Texas at Coppell-Texas, Plano-Texas, Allen-Texas.
- Locations of Performances & Competitions : Southlake-Texas, Irving-Texas, Dallas-Texas, Lewisville-Texas, Frisco-Texas, Plano-Texas, Carrollton-Texas, Allen-Texas, Coppell-Texas, Grapevine-Texas, Flowermound-Texas, Arlington-Texas.
- Selected in several auditions and competitions for Solos. Selected by several media and top-notch family/event/corporate-dance and professional photographers for individual profiling/close-ups during our community performances without our telling them or informing them. She was also part of Fusion team being an avid gymnasts student. Click here :
- You are a perfect example of perfect expressions/looks anytime a picture is taken and yet it just as graceful and beautiful.
Congratulations to ALL our students of the year!
Thank you for working hard with us…
This post will be updated once a year. Our year goes from August To May.
Post Updated History : Published First on this Blog in September 25, 2017.
Pictures posted above are either past or present students of Grace and Grooves & their pictures are shared based on their exclusive photo sharing rights and approved by parents when shared/transferred to Grace And Grooves for the purpose of Grace and Grooves ONLY.
Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | 2012-2019. This material cannot be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
A Note to Competition Organizers and Everybody Else :
As such we have won several competitions but we have only accounted in our bags that we have done it independently ourselves and have judges who are qualified in field of Indian Performing Arts-who know what to look for in dance forms or styles, if mentioned likewise.
- Competitions in partnership with other dance schools/teachers are NOT INCLUDED in our list.
- Competitions where voting criteria is 10/100 or more at any levels are not included in our list. You are welcome to take freelance lessons from us but we will not participate in voting.
- Judges who do not have any knowledge of dance or cannot outline the difference between simple things such as bollywood vs folk, fusion vs bollywood, and so on! If you do not know the rules of dance form then there is no point in judging.
- Participant Awards are NOT listed or considered for us-obviously and that includes students who get participant awards during competitions just for participating and not winning competitions for any runner ups awards either.
- Wins at the Competitions that misrepresented categories/competitions/malrepresentation by the organizers are NOT listed.
- Eg-Represented as Indian FOLK Competition but it was actually a Bollywood Competition and so they are NOT LISTED HERE. We have won such competitions as well.
- Only legitimate competitions are listed.
- We DO NOT teach Tap/Jazz/Ballet. Students who took part in fusion dances that included tap/jazz or ballet were trained from Ballet Academy of Texas(Coppell) and Prestige Dance Company(Lewisville-former Coppell Dance Center)for 2months+ or were already avid trained dancers or good gymnasts.
- We taught them only Indian Classical Dance(Bharatnatyam)or Indian Folk Dance and the Fusion work to go together based on what they knew.
- Some competitions are listed together as only 1 award was given for consecutive years win or in same year as prizes had material gifts/or gift cards for participants or same work received awards in 2 different places by different participants or same participants. There was only 1 ceremony for awards that happened.
- Competitions where –>
- Students are neglected, mis-treated, insulted by organizers are NOT worth of our time. We will pass their info-you are welcome to compete but keep us out of it.
- Organizers are in favor of other dance schools and allowed several re-takes to them but not to us-for no good reason are NOT worth our time. We DO NOT want children to go through that traumatic experiences.
- Students are questioned about their well-being priorities only because organizer couldn’t see the child winning in-spite of stopping the vote entries are NOT worth of your child’s time.
- Organizers that offer inappropriate stage areas, dressing room areas or unsafe dance conditions are eliminated from our list for any future participations due to SAFETY GUIDELINES concerning child’s safety. We don’t come there to dance in 5-8 steps of stage area.
- A stage or organizer who cannot respect a child’s presence while talking just about anything that they have in mind insulting kids and their parents whatsoever, esp. talking in extremely loud voice and misbehaving in front of children because you couldn’t handle pressures (while others were allowed to do same-all drama in front of child)-is not worth our attention.
Please learn your manners FIRST when you treat a child. Stop treating them like trash — this tells us about your parenting! Not our parents’.
- An organizer who is bias to us in all the privileges given to other participants will not need our attention at any given point of time.
- If you have made up your mind in not allowing us to avail the privileges then why should we make kids suffer through your misconduct and inappropriate behavior just for a trophy ?
Constructive feedbacks are very welcomed. We have come this far only because of constructive feedbacks.
All of above are NOT sarcastic humor incidents and are ruled out by experiences in recent competitions and we do not want any child to face such a traumatic experience just for a competition!
Our kids/students are very precious to us.
Other Blog Posts where such a traumatic incident happened : Read Here.
Stop blaming parents and kids for your own issues. Open Stats @Cqunce Inc.
This post was updated in May 15, 2019.
Exclusive Copyrights by Reach Media for Hetal Joshi | Grace & Grooves | Grace Creations | Grace And Grooves 2012-2019.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Everybody in this world has their inspiration from somewhere or something. So do we and all our names. Just out of sky it did not come in our mind to get these names on our paper to register them as our own. With so many theories out there about names, we had to clear our own lists of all the DBA(s), Logo(s)….
Grace And Grooves LLC (2012) : This is sort of like additional information on how we got our name. As shared in link above on Grace And Grooves LLC(2012), we got our name from audiences. Topic 2 From Here.
Here’s little more to nail-biting situation we were put through for name!
We had unexpected challenges during this walk-in competition. When asked what dance company it was–we did not have a name back then. We did not know what to answer. We wondered, why was it required to put a name when organizer did not disclose such a thing before the event as a basic requirement and just took us in to compete.
Grace, poise, artistic choreography never fails to sell itself. This was compared to a youtube copied choreography that had over a million views 🙂 It had us worried for a while until we heard that we received 1st place award. We were told to give some name by the end of event and when the results are announced(if we win!) so that they can address it as we were the ONLY people there who did not have name there. They seemed to be against participants that were not registered.
An American Indian (well, married to Indian 🙂 complimented our parents and students that she did not understand language or meaning of song but choreography was so beautiful that it touched her heart.
She mentioned specifically which sequence of dance it was upon asking. The song was about relation between Meera(a devotee of lord krishna) and Lord Krishna that was well-read to audience before the song. But, the ending dance sequence when Meera looses her presence in materialistic world in Hare Krishna Dhun (chants with complete submission to the lord Krishna). This dance was performed by Nirja Setty and her school friend (name disclosed on request) in our own designed Kerala Style Tissue Pattu Pavadai. Cloth for this costume was specifically shipped from India (on request of-course) and re-stitched, re-designed for these girls in the City of Irving-Coppell,Texas USA. She said, the dance brought tears in her eyes. Our Success! After hearing compliments from this young lady, we named ourselves–Grace And Grooves when they called us on stage to receive our award-1st place. It was instant. We loved the name that we accidentally spoke out! Comments by the judges : Beautiful Choreography, Dramatic Appearances, Nicely done, Beautiful costumes/props and compliments such as how did you do such a beautiful dance choreography on this song! We always get that & happy to hear one more time 🙂 Choreographer : Hetal Nagaraj. Inspirations from her trainings.
Both students were learning Bharatnatyam with us and Indian Folk Dance(Pure) towards common goal of having them compete in a competition as duet, if the audition process goes well. And, we were waiting to hear the results. Meanwhile, we came to know of this competition and we walked right-in when we heard walk-ins are welcomed. This choreography work has won several awards in competitions, at times-back to back. Nobody gets tired of it :). We hear the same thing–how did you do it!
CALL NOW 972 979 2559 or Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Grace Creations(2013) : A name that was a direct inspiration from an Indian artistic dance company in east-coast of United States. We were in love with it the day we came across them through a friend. We were shown their you-tube videos when our friend saw Mrs.Nagaraj’s semi-classical work performed by her own self. Our other inspiration was Indian Dance School(In Georgia, USA) for their beautiful unique fusion works. Very artistically done and both of these are Bharatnatyam based Indian Dance Companies. And we started following them but with our own artistic, innovative ways and we infused lot of other styles, forms of dances as well–at times within the limits of form or style while the other times-totally off-limits. All students however were trained in their forms and styles to maintain their commitments. All our fusion choreography work often performs under the label of Grace Creations. Grace Creations will perform in later years next and is currently on vacation :).
CALL NOW 972 979 2559 or Email : email@example.com
Nruthyakala Dance Academy(2017) : The word comes from words Nruthya (or Nritya meaning dance) and Kala meaning Art. We had in mind several other names but we needed a name that goes for both the dance forms – Bharatanatyam and Indian Folk Dances(India). Main idea was to have Nruthya(Nritya meaning Dance) that is combination of Nritta and Natya – both;thus separating these two beautiful forms from all the other programs that we offer. Eventually, it may happen that Bharatnatyam and Indian Folk Dances may operate separately but until then this is it-we loved this as it best-fits our need!
CALL NOW 972 979 2559 or Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mirchi Dance Academy(2017): This word was decided last year! Very well, it came from Red Chillies Entertainment (An Entertainment Company in Mumbai, India). Mirchi(meaning hot pepper/chillies) is always a must have in plate if you have roots from Kathyavaad. Coming from hybrid-gujarati family, we were born eating tasty peppers/chillies with our all-time favorite theplas, stuffed paranthas or bajri-rotlas with all the other goodies. Some habits don’t go, they say! From our food plate to our DBA name. And you thought we don’t love Bollywood :)…Yes, bring it onn. It is tasty!
Date: August 15, 2017.
Exclusively written by Hetal Nagaraj. Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | Nruthyakala Dance Academy | Mirchi Dance Academy | 2012-2017. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Past Performances of Grace And Grooves. List of paid and unpaid public events – 2015 and before in no specific order of occurrences and numbered per event/not by number of performances):
- Grace And Grooves performs at Plano Library, at a Diwali Event (Organized by Independent Groups). Ms. Mansi Chauhan offered Bollywood Workshop-Age Group 4 to 8 Years.
- Grace And Grooves performs at an invited event organized by DFW-Hindu Temple, Irving-Texas featuring Semi-Classical Bharatnatyam-Bollywood Style , Bollywood-Folk, and Bollywood Performances.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam(Shabdam/Shabhdam), Garba, and Bollywood Dances in a walkathon organized by CRY America Inc in Irving-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam (Art-work), Bollywood and Fusion at Iskon-Dallas at a sponsored event.
- Grace And Grooves performs Lavani, Garba, Ghoomar/Ghummar, and Folk tale lyrical in Dallas-Texas for Dallas Catholic Charities in Dallas-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam(as guest artist, Allaripu) in competition where Ms. Hetal Joshi was judge for Non-Classical Category-Dallas, Texas. (2011)
- Grace And Grooves performs Garba, Bollywood Dances, and Lavani in May Festival -Fortworth.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam(Pushpanjali-Guru Vandana), Tollywood Dances, Bollywood Dances, Folk Lyrical in Dallas International Festival, Dallas-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Kalbelia, Kshatriya, Tippani and Bollywood Dances in Plano, Texas at an International Festival representing India.
- Grace And Grooves showcased art-works (Garba of Smt. Indu Mangrola) and Semi-Classical Kathak in Tarrant County-College, Arlington-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam(Thillana), Bollywood Dances, Rajasthani Folk Tale(with Chirmi) event organized by DFW International in Addison, Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Gidda, Bhangra(Beginners) and Bollywood performances at Ram Mandir-Plano Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bollywood Folk, Semi-Classical Kathak, Bollywood Hip Hop, and Bhangra at an event organized by Indian Association of North Texas, Dallas-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performs Teratalli, Garba, Ghoomar/Ghummar, and Chirmi in Fortworth Festival-Forworth.
- Grace And Grooves performs at inaugural function with Bollywood Fusion, Koli, Lavani, KummiAdi, Bihu at a sponsored event in Colleyville, Texas featuring Cultures of India. PAID Performance.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam(Jatiswaram)in Grapevine-Texas for Diwali event organized by Denton Association.
- Grace And Grooves performs Raas/Dandiya, Bollywood-Retro, and Fusion Tap w/Bollywood in association with Dance Workshop at Lewisville Grand Theatre(Lewisville). Students were avid Tap/Jazz dancers trained for more than 2 years at Coppell Dance Center(Coppell) and later at Prestige Dance Center (Lewisville), Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Bollywood-Lyrical, Lezim, Bollywood Bhangra, and Bollywood HipHop at Chinese Festival in Arlington, Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed KumiAdi, Garbi, and Bollywood Dances, organized by DFW International in Addison-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Lavani, Bollywood Dances, Semi-Classical (Bharatnatyam), and Tollywood in International Travel Show-Global Beatz Stage-Dallas, Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Chirmi, Bollywood, Rumaal Dance, Bharatnatyam(Lyrical Artwork) at World Fest, Addison-Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Fusion of Tap, Bollywood Hip Hop, Nepali Folk and Rajasthani Folk Tale in Grapevine Texas by Denton Association.
- Grace And Grooves performed Folk-Fusion, Bollywood Dances, in Plano-Texas. Students were avid Tap/Jazz dancers trained for more than 2 years at Coppell Dance Center-Coppell and later at Prestige Dance and Performing Arts Centre(Lewisville), Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Bharatnatyam-Ballet Fusion in DFW Hindu Temple, Irving-Texas. Students were trained in Ballet from Ballet Academy of Texas-Coppell, Texas.
- Grace And Grooves performed Fusion at Indian Association of North Texas, – Dallas Texas: Tap, Jazz, Gymnastics, Salsa, Bollywood and Folk. Students were trained or were avid dancers/gymnasts in Tap, Jazz, and Gymnastics, from Ballet Academy of Texas-Coppell, Coppell Dance Center/ Prestige Dance and Performing Arts Centre (Lewisville), and gymnastics studios respectively. Ms. Joshi took required Salsa Personal Training from a Master Choreographer at Arthur Murray Dance Studio (Plano). Please do not copy our artwork without training. It may harm your child.
- Grace And Grooves performs Bharatnatyam/Tap Fusion, Bollywood Dances, Kumari (Indian) Semi-Classical in Addison, Texas event organized by DFW International. . Students were avid Tap/Jazz dancers trained for more than 2 years at Coppell Dance Center-Coppell and later at Prestige Dance and Performing Arts Centre(Lewisville), Texas.
- Grace And Grooves (Ms. Hetal Joshi) performs for consecutive 3 days in Culture Cowtown Event (National Gathering) organized by American-Mensa at Fort Worth-Texas, for Classical Dances of India, Folk Dances of India and Nepal, and Bollywood Dances. The performances featured Bharatnatyam (Kalashetra/Pandanallur), Fusion, Semi-Classical, Bollywood and various Folk Dances of India with variations in styles and techniques with time-line. Folk Dances of India discussed were – Garba, Raas-Dandiya, Gidda, Garbi, Bhangra, Lavani, Kshtariya, Lezim, Koli, Dumhal, Tribal Dances of India, Chhau, Sambalpuri Folk, Rumali Dance, Tippani, Matki, Bhavaai, and many more were showcased with variations/types, techniques and costumes. An educational workshop was also given after the performance with LIVE participation from audiences to American-Mensa Members on the all of above with and without costumes/jewelry. Over 30 Mensa members participated in the event of which a few were performing arts major.
- Grace And Grooves performs and gives workshop at Uplift Education – Summit International Preparatory, Arlington-Texas featuring Bollywood Dances, Choppai-Bollywood Style.
- Grace And Grooves performs at Independence Elementary, Lewisville featuring Tollywood Performances-Semi-Classical Style , Bollywood Dance.
- Grace And Grooves performs at Harmony School of Innovation, Carrollton featuring creative fusion styles.
- Grace And Grooves performs at Isaacs Early Childhood School featuring a neo-classical fusion and bollywood dances.
- Grace And Grooves performs at Universal Academy, Coppell featuring Bollywood Dances.
- Grace And Grooves performs at Castle Hills Elementary, Lewisville featuring various Bollywood Dances such as Medley of creative Modern and Traditional Bollywood Dances and fusion of Ethnic Rajasthani Folk dance styles.
Grace And Grooves holds exclusive rights for all the pictures being posted with permission of organizers for exclusive Grace And Groove use only.
More as we dig in our files…We enjoy performing and doing workshops so that you can enjoy reading/seeing pictures.
Any kind of Indian Dance, be it Bharatnatyam, Folk Dances of India or Bollywood was NEVER mainstream career in India and neither in Ms. Hetal Joshi’s family. Right after 1999 when Hetal Joshi Nagaraj(Founding member) stepped in freelance private group choreography for Folk Dances of India (competitions), there was no looking back indeed. But these competitions demand creativity, dramatic appearances & intricate choreography thereby following the rules of your chosen dance form. This means that it involves hours of training even before the actual choreography work starts. You can only imagine the work required for competitions if you were to do it as a mainstream career with your own mainstream studies. So, it was once or max twice a year exclusive work for competitions only.
So, was this the reason that company was established? Nope.
Way of life made a way of life when her 3.5-year old-daughter started dancing (not moving) to Krishna Bhajans at Hare Krishna Temple of Dallas, Texas (ISKON of Dallas, Texas-USA). The crowd turned heads when she “danced” and people asked if she took lessons and when she started dancing. Her daughter happened to pick these folk dance steps while Ms. Joshi was teaching a competition group. She then started teaching her daughter just as any (trained teacher or)mother would do with proper training. But, she felt that her daughter needed more structured program of folk dances, if there was anybody doing it as mainstream. After trying a dance school/academy (for 2-3 years w/group & private in Plano & Irving) that claimed to teach authentic, creative or curriculum based Folk Dances of India, Ms. Joshi just couldn’t find ANY other in entire Dallas Fort-worth areas. You-Tube videos as Guru, copied resumes of other trained dancers & even copied choreography (Bollywood mostly)-of unpublished works of other artists seemed like a practice to this so called folk-proclaimed gifted artist. All of this @ the cost of parents and students’ who are ignorant to Folk Dances of India and would consider Bollywood or even community folk as actual folk dances! What ? The artist would then get their way out of all the blames by just doing govt. services-shocking and above all – shameful! Indeed an exhilarating & fraud experience from a senior artist it was! Not as expected when we joined folk program! A simple fact—you can’t call yourself a doctor coz you know dosage & medicine names or you saw a surgery on you-tube and thus open a clinic @ home! Can you? We wished ;). For an untrained eye will identify community dances as pure or modern folk, the so-called—“Hey, I know Folk Dance-pride” just crashes before the trained eyes that look for basic folk-requirements. More than 99% of videos on You-tube are entertainment videos in the name of folk & don’t reflect the right elements of folk!
So, with training, in-depth knowledge, and competition experiences in competition that we already had (Ms. Hetal Joshi), we opened our doors to teaching authentic, certified folk dances of India to outside students and public altogether. Grace and Grooves, name itself was a recommendation from the audience where prominent dance teachers participated and only Ms. Joshi’s advance dancers did not have name when asked. Grace and Grooves it was then in 2012 when the company was finally registered in Dallas-Fortworth (DFW) as LLC with the State of Texas, USA. Since then, Grace and Grooves is focused on providing structured programs for Folk Dances of India, Bharatnatyam and Bollywood. Certified programs are available if you want to make it a part of your life just as it is ours for generations! These programs receive continuous mentorship from lead dancers, junior & senior artists in India who do it as mainstream career either as gifted dancers (Bollywood) or as trained dancers (All genres). A consistent passion to compete in Pure and Modern Folk Dances of India to NOW a full-time certified business offering Bharatnatyam, Bollywood and Folk Dances of India. This is something like “the forgotten-once upon a time vision” in performing arts that actually came true! In 2016, Grace and Grooves was accredited by BBB(Better Business Bureau) so that you learn from the right people, just the way it is, in the right way & yet be just as creative enough, wherever required! After all, we want to introduce our kids-India’s beautiful culture, so that they don’t forget their roots and most importantly love to embrace it. The Right Folk Dances of India–Not the You-Tube videos!.
So Why Grace & Grooves ?
All of above….PLUS How you want your child’s talent to be judged. Based on govt. service that a dance teacher does, their partnered businesses, and copied unpublished works of other artists ?
You want your child’s dance talent to be judged based on their own ability/talent because of training & by right people ?
Choice is YOURS!
Make your $ worth of where you spend! Common sense, culture knowledge is taught FREE with all our trainings just like the way we learned from our institutes and yet look beyond possibilities, wherever/whenever required!
God’s grace, this definitely answers as to why your child should enroll with Grace And Grooves.
Copyright Reach Media for Grace And Grooves | Grace Creations | 2012-2017. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.